Deleted PATH in Environment Variables by mistake.

Discussion in 'Software' started by JayT, Jul 1, 2005.

1. JayT

JayT Private E-2

I was adding a path to the environment variables today and accidentally deleted the path line. Arg! Now I'm having system problems. Software won't load, etc. Does anyone know how to fix this? Is there an easy way to rewrite the Path line?

I'm running Windows XP and I have almost zero knowledge of C Shell or executing shell commands, BTW.

Thanks for the help,
    Jay

2. JayT

JayT Private E-2

I'd love to...but I shut it off because of spyware and virus problems.

Other suggestions?

3. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Right click my computer>properties>advanced>environment variables>system variables>new
    variable name=PATHEXT
    variable value=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH

4. Anon-068c403e2d

variable name=path
    variable value=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

5. JayT

JayT Private E-2

Didn't fix the problems. The computer still boots, but lots of programs won't run and some crash. This is really frustrating...I can't believe that there's no backup or easy fix for this. Am I going to have to reinstall Windows and all my programs to get my computer to work properly again?

Jeff

6. Anon-068c403e2d

run>cmd>set
    right click command windows select all and paste it here.

7. JayT

JayT Private E-2

There's a lot of stuff there. The path I'm using is as follows, which seems to work. How do I know if I'm missing something that should be there?

C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

8. Anon-068c403e2d

Doesnt look like you are missing anything that is default.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds