Dr. TCP. Internet provider told me too download.

Discussion in 'Software' started by 2bfree, Jul 2, 2005.

1. 2bfree

2bfree Private E-2

Hi, was having problems connecting to web pages & online games. I had a connection to my provider ( run ip ping test) my internet provider told me too download Dr TCP and had me enter a three digit number into dial up and adapter settings. I asked what had happened and was told, must have been something I had done or something I had downloaded, they were very unhelpfull. I have a clean system and haven’t downloaded anything for a few weeks. I would like to know if there was a reason for these settings changing. Thanks in advance

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Sounds like they got you to change your MTU. This is a setting which can optimise your connection: some network tweak programs will attempt to change this to make the most out of your connection, but some ISPs only work correctly with a certain MTU.

By default the value may not have been what the ISP requires, which is why you were instructed on how to change it.

Hope that helps :)

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

DrTcp is a small program that allows you to alter any modem setting. By altering the settings you can experiment to find the fastest speeds your modem is capable of. DrTcp only alters the settings. You must try other programs to get the best speed settings. You also must reboot for the new settings to take effect. Some stuff for you.

Modem speeds, setters and checkers.

TCPOptimizer.exe http://majorgeeks.com/download2104.html

TCP/IP Optimizer 1.01 [ 448 Kb | Freeware | Win All] Optimize Dialup, DSL and Cable all from one interface

TCP Optimizer Description: The TCP Optimizer is a free Windows program designed to help optimize your Internet connection. Just download and run, no installaion required. The program makes it easy to find the best MaxMTU value, test latency and tweak all the important broadband related registry parameters. The Optimizer can be helpful with tuning any Internet connection type, from dialup to Gigabit+ :) If you need help with the program, read our broadband tweaking articles, the Optimizer FAQ, and/or visit our Forums. As an alternative, you can try one of our generic Registry patches instead.

Modem tweak tutorial http://www.pengbo.dsl.pipex.com/ppages/tweaks.shtml

Dr Tcp http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

It is a small download as is the easiest way to alter modem settings. Make sure you write down each, and every, setting when you start experimenting, ESPECIALLY your starting settings, so you can at least get back to those that you STARTED with.

Once again, make sure you write down ALL your current settings, before you experiment. Bazza

===

4. 2bfree

2bfree Private E-2

Thanks for the prompt replies. The help was appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds