Live Video to Web Page

Discussion in 'Software' started by Matacumbie, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

A friend of mine is wanting to place a web cam link on his web page. To kind of explain what he is trying to do. Where he lives there is alot of wildlife, deer, turkeys, etc. and he would like to place a web cam in his backyard so he, or me, or you could see it live. Or, place it on his house so if they are out of town he could monitor the property.

He is pretty computer savvy so I think with a little help and the proper program(s) he could get it going. So any advice on software, tutorials, links, would be greatly appreciated.

Just a little info on what I know:
    1. Windows xp sp2
    2. High speed internet
    3. Has Frontpage 2000 and CoffeeCup
    4. Home wireless network

Steve

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

I was also looking into this area. I am currently looking at this piece of HW which also incorporates sound. The specs show this to only work with 'g' protocol.

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=650

I note that your friend has high speed internet and wireless connection, so he must have a router+wap. In which case this unit would connect wirelessly and when configured would just get another IP address within his network.

My understanding is that access to the Webcam would then be made by way of a browser IE or similar. I also believe that access could be restricted by way of password.............

Hope this helps

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Halo, that second link looks pretty good. I sent him a link to the thread and will probably talk to him this evening.

risk_reversal, I know the IP address was a problem or concern he had. The password info is good to know, that would come in handy.

Thank's guy's, I appreciate the time and trouble. :)

Steve

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Good stuff Steve.. keep us upto date on how he goes?

and have a great 4th my friend :)

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Thank's Halo. :D

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds