Explorer invalid page fault in module Ole32.dll

Discussion in 'Software' started by kiwiabroad, Jul 4, 2005.

1. kiwiabroad

kiwiabroad Private First Class

Help - hubbie's computer has a problem.

Operating system - Windows 98. (Dell Dimension XPS T550). Was on internet then everything went crazy. Now keeps getting the following message:

Explorer: This problem has caused an illegal operation and will be shut down. Explorer has caused an invalid page fault in Module Ole32.dll at 015f:7ff31fe2.

Whenever he hits close or the x button the message just reappears and does not allow him to do anything else. He can't open or start any programs or even CTRL+ALT+DEL. Can't shut down the computer without doing it manually. Can't even get into Start>Run to do a scanreg /restore which has been suggested on other forums.

We haven't a clue what to do. Please can anyone help bearing in mind we know the basics about computers so step by step instructions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. mgreen

mgreen Private E-2

Hello,

Have the same problem, major bummer...
    Here are some suggestions, you don't need to be in windows to run scanreg /restore. It can be run from the command prompt; in fact it won't run under windows. When windows boots up press f8, you need to be quick (Press F8 prior to the windows screen coming up). You will be given a menu, select command prompt. from there cd\windows then scanreg /restore. This should work.

If it doesn't here are some options, this problem seems to be related to a corrupt registry. However invalid page faults are caused either by a bad memory module (Software trying to write to bad area of memory) or software (Software trying to write to an area that windows keeps protected from other files so that the system does not get corrupted by running programs) virus, spyware or just bad programming.

You can get the the basic windows system up enabling you to run windows programs by editing the system.ini file in the windows directory.

1. Go to the command prompt (You should have the idea now)
    2. cd\windows
    3. edit system.ini

This brings up one of the main files windows uses to boot.
    Look for shell = explorer.exe
    Change to shell = progman.exe
    Save and reboot the computer.

You should now see a desktop (no icons and a window similar to that of windows 3.11 without the icons.)

Select file -> run, and type explorer.exe
    This will bring up the file explorer window
    From here you should see the drives, directories and cdrom. Hopefully from here you will be able to run your antivirus, spyware, burning software (I was able to burn my data to cd before reformatting using this method.) I was even able to connect to the Net (update antivirus/spyware software).

However to no avail I was still unable to find the pesky problem. Still working on it. Will let you know if I find a solution.

Hope this helps, Good luck

Matt

3. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Your problem can be caused by faulty memory. Download Memtest86+, Unzip, and create a CD from ISO image, then reboot your computer with the CD in the CD drive; make sure your computer is configured to boot from CD-ROM. Run the memory tests. After 5 passes if no problems are found then your memory is good.

The command scanreg /restore restores your registry from a backup. Invalid page faults are normally caused by corrupted files or bad memory.

Do the following if your memory is good and you are still geting the invalid page fault error:

1. Start the computer with CD-ROM support using a Windows 98 Startup Disk.
    NOTE: If you don't have one you can download it from here Win98SE Startup Disk Place a blank 3.5 floppy in the floppy drive double-click boot98se.exe and it will write the disk for you.​
    2. Insert your Windows Compact Disk (CD) into the CD or DVD-ROM drive.

3. Type drive: where drive is the drive letter of the CD or DVD-ROM drive, and then press ENTER. For example, D:.
    NOTE: If you have an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) installation of Windows, your Windows installation files may be located on the hard disk in the following location:

C:\Windows\Options\Cabs​
    4. Type cd\win98, and then press ENTER.

5. Type the following command and then press ENTER:
    extract /a /y /e /l c:\windows\system base4.cab Shdocvw.dll Mshtml.dll Comctl32.dll Shlwapi.dll Shell32.dll
    6. Type the following command and then press ENTER:
    extract /a /y /e /l c:\windows base4.cab explorer.exe
    7. Restart the computer.

NOTE: If you cannot access Control Panel or Windows Explorer, use this procedure to restart the computer in MS-DOS mode and extract the following files from the Windows 98 CD to the Windows\System folder:

Inetcpl.cpl
    Ole2.dll
    Ole32.dll
    Oleaut32.dll
    Olepro32.dll
    Olethk32.dll
    Setupwbv.dll
    Softpub.dll
    Urlmon.dll
    Wininet.dll
    Wintrust.dll
    Control.exe​

4. kiwiabroad

Thanks to both replies.

I hope I have solved the problem. I restarted in safe mode, did a scanreg/restore to a 'good' date, loaded AVG antivirus + firewall (no current ant-virus software on system would you believe!!), updated and did a scan. This found 9 viruses including 2 OLE32.dll's. The computer now appears to be working ok. I also have downloaded Ad-Aware and SpywareBlaster. I guess time will tell. Will keep both your replies in case it rears its ugly head again.

5. kiwiabroad

Re: links4all.biz/MSN virus

Hi - back again after so long! Please help re following:

My son has managed to download problem thru MSN.

He got a message while on MSN saying 'is this you' thinking it was from a friend and clicked on the link and pressed run. This morning I had problems saying MSN 4.6 couldn't run unless MSN Plus was installed, SpywareBlaster told me my internet was configured in an unstable way (I restored it's recommended defaults): sites such as google, personal banking and email wouldn't load and instead came up with sites such as jamesvideos.com, autoserf.com, dearladies.com, lesbianslumber.com, hqgalls.com and mysqlrblog.com. All these sights looked the same in terms of layout and colour. Other sites that came up in the address bar were jupk.com and picskenso.com. I did a virus scan (Avira) which found 3 files with the same virus (TR/Dldr.Agent.bca) all of which were quarantined and also a Dyfuca virus (access deny). I have got home tonight and found internet 'appears' to be working ok but SpywareBlaster gave me another 'unstable' message and internet options security has been changed from medium (default setting) to custom (I have restored the defaults). Also a blank page after google opens of links4all.biz. I have been thru Add/Remove Programs and removed everything not used or unnecessary including a 'PicMaster' last used yesterday which seems highly suspicious.

I have the following:

Windsow XP (home) SP2
    Internet explorer 6
    Sygate Personal Firewall
    Ad-aware SE Personal
    SpywareBlaster
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    SpywareGuard
    AntiVir PE Classic

The last 5 items are regularly updated and completely up to date and have been run. Ad-aware only found tracking cookies, Spybot found nothing, AntiVir found as above, SpywareBlaster as above.

I know there are other MSN viruses which ask you about a photo and download Toolbar 888 for example. I have no apparent unusual toolbars.

Do I need to run HijackThis etc (incidentally, no longer on computer as I removed it about a month ago!)? Please can you help me.

Thanks in advance to anyone for your time.

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I suggest that you post your most recent problem in the Malware section.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

You'll get really expert assistance there, from Chaslang and others. Bazza

BTW, welcome to a Kiwi, even if abroad. You are the only Kiwi I have noticed, in nearly 3 years, here at MG. Baz

7. kiwiabroad

Hi Bazza

Thanks for the advice and problem now posted in malware removal forum. Chaslang helped me last time so hopefully can again.

Great to find a another kiwi no matter how far from home!

Kiwiabroad

8. bigbazza

You're the Kiwi, I'm an Aussie. LOL :) ;) :cool: :D
    Chas'll get you going. Bazza

===

9. kiwiabroad

Oops sorry Bazza - should have looked at your profile and with a name like Bazza I should've guessed!! LOL:rolleyes:

10. bigbazza

That's OK. Love NZ. 5 trips there,(hunting), many years ago. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds