Missing DLL file affecting Outlook Express...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jerkyking, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Our second PC is an eMachine T2596 which was picked up for my daughter. I have been really happy with it, its networked and provides us with a back up PC and a place to back up our files and pics.

Its rarely used for email but apparently its missing a DLL file that is affecting Outlook Express.

Whenever OE is started it does not see OE as the default mail client and Windows asks if I want to make it so. Every time I say yes. I do not have a problem sending or rcving mail.

Under IE, Tools, Internet Options, Programs Tab... the E-Mail drop down is blank and only lists Outlook (not OE). Apparently IE does not see OE and I know its part of IE.

Other quirks tied to this are:

If I try to e-mail a picture using XP, it goes on to ask me if I which to resize it. Then it goes on to asks me to Choose a Profile, again only Outlook is avail. When MS Exchange Setup Wizard tries to help me create a new one it tells me "the DLL file for this service is damaged or could not be found". I did not come across any utilites under MG to solve DLL issues.

If I click on an e-mail address in an existing e-mail or webpage IE will open up 50 to 60 times.

System is running XP Home w/SP2 and all updates.
    Celeron 2.5 Ghz
    512 MB ram
    Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 (PCI)
    DVD/CD-RW Hitachi
    60 GB HDD (Maxtor)
    Protected by AVG Free and Webroot.

I intend on trying out Fire Fox and Modzilla but would like to get this issue resolved first.

Thanks

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Is the error message that you are getting "Outlook Express could not be started because Msoe.dll could not be loaded"? Also there is a list of errors at Microsoft.com that you can dig through that may also help http://support.microsoft.com/ph/2578/en-us/?sid=216&aid=3

If you are getting the profile error, that is an easy registry fix, but check your computer to see if the Address Book is still on it, that would defiently cause the error that you are seeing. This article will help also http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313055

4. mcj88

mcj88 Private E-2

I am not a computer whiz by any means and had this same problem.Type in http://www.microsoft.com/ie and it will list the downloads for both XP and 98.Install Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 and it reinstall the missing MSOE.Dll file[or least it worked for me]. :)

5. Shadow_Puter_Dude

First this post is more than 3 weeks old and second you don't fix errors on SP2 by installing IE6/SP1.

6. mcj88

mcj88 Private E-2

My first sentence says i am not a computer expert.Did not mention SP2.I had problems with 98 and this fixed it for me.I had tried all the solutions posted in this topic and another topic without any success.Whether the topic is 3 weeks old or not,people still have the same problem and this is a help forum.Sorry i peed in your cereal. :eek:

7. Shadow_Puter_Dude

The system specs are in the first post.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds