Can't make a file be non-read only...

Discussion in 'Software' started by dumbluck, Jul 5, 2005.

1. dumbluck

dumbluck Private E-2

Ok. I have a little mystery that I need solved.First off, I'm using WinXP Home, SP2. Secondly, I first noticed this problem after trying to mod the files of a newly installed program file. (no, I'm not a hacker. The program is specifically and intentionally set up to be moddable) I cannot change, delete, or alter any of these files from my limited account. My normal account is a limited account, for internet security reasons. (I use an Admin account solely for installing and deleting files.) I can't even RUN THE PROGRAM from my limited account, and in attempting to fix the problem, I came upon an ... oddity.

After logging in as the admin, I explore my way to the files I want to alter. I right click on the file, which brings up the properties window. At the bottom of the General Tab is the check box for Read Only (it's checked now). I uncheck it, then hit the "Apply" button. This brings up a new little window that lists the status of the Attribute change. All goes well, it runs thru all the subfolders and files, and no error messages come up. The "Status" window goes away, leaving me with my Properties window open and the "Read Only" box unchecked. I hit "OK" which closes the window. Then I right click on the file again, the Properties window comes up again.... and the file has magically changed back to "read only"!?!?!? What the [bleeeeeep bleep bleep beep bleeeeeeeeeeeeeep]????????

Is this normal?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds