SPII crashes puter-next step??

Discussion in 'Software' started by jtone, Jul 5, 2005.

1. jtone

jtone Private E-2

I need help with this machine. Some of this material I've posted before, but I'm just going to keep it simple and start from scratch.

If one of you could help me resolve this issue step by step, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have done everything that you suggest in the "Read this before posting problems" thread, with one exception. I am still using XP Pro, SPI. because I can't use SPII. Why, you might ask, can't I use SPII??

When I installed SPII, it crashed my 'puter.

What next??(If anyone has specific questions I'll answer them, but I'm trying to keep the clutter to a minimum)

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Did you try to install SP2 on a fresh install of XP, that is the best way, no need to load sp1 first?
    Another good thing is to have SP2 on cd, avaible free at Microsoft.

Most people whom have problems, had installed SP2 on old windows instlation.

You should post your PC's specs, a few more details would help.

3. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

Here is the link for the free SP2 on cd from microsoft. It should come to you in a couple of weeks or so ;)

controlmind

4. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Dear ASUS:

Here are the spec's for your edification:
    2.8 GHz Pentium 4 Prescott w/Hyper-threading (enabled); 512 megs ram; ECS 865PE-A Version 1.2 Mobo with 800 MHz FSB; 120 GB HD with 8 MB cache; floppy drive, CD/DVD player; CD burner; 256-bit, 128MB graphics card; 6 channel audio(I think it's a RealTek). I also have a socket 478 cooling fan right on the Mobo and 4 Raidmax case fans (actually one on the side, 2 in back, 1 in front by the HD); 17" LCD monitor, 'puter is still running "stock" e.g. I haven't overclocked it or otherwise modded it. Processor is cool enough, I think; under 30 degs centigrade (maybe 25-28 average), even in the middle of summer in a non-air conditioned house.
    Everything in this machine is brand new (well, about 9 mos old now)-nothing was recycled from an old machine. Those of you who have heard my bitching over the last few weeks can quit reading at this point. Otherwise, read on......

I'm using a new version of XP PRO, which I bought when I built this 'puter last August. FYI it's a legal version, not a copy. The machine worked great out of the box with SPI, but when it auto-updated SPII, it crashed hard, and hasn't worked the same since. If you really want to know my exact problem, see the article at: http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm
    Right after I built this 'puter, it was so fast it scared me. The entire boot sequence, from dead screen to OS up and ready, was under 40 secs. When you launched an app, it took longer to click the icon than it did for the app to load (except Acrobat-those guys are committed to making you wait 30 secs for their prog to load no matter what you do!!) Now, I'm lucky to get it to boot up in under 2 mins. I know, it seems like the machine is infected with malware, but I've run every scan there is known to man or woman. Even though I'm not geeky enough to know why, I can almost guarantee that what I have is a corrupt OS. (Believe me, I've been deleting temp files, cookies, history, etc. manually since before we had programs that do it for you, so even though I'm mildly computer-stupid I'm still fairly proficient and well aware that this machine is actually designed to load itself up with so much crap that it eventually can't run. I appreciate that you guys have to be careful about someone stumbling in here with a badly infected machine but I assure you that I've tried to stay on top of that side of it. I'm aware that SPI has a lot of "holes" but a corrupt OS is better than a frozen one, don't you agree??).

I probably need to do a clean install before updating, but since the update will just crash the machine anyway..........well, now you see why I still have SPI installed!!
    So, since SPI sucks, and since SP II crashes my machine, and since the OS manufacturer and Mobo manufacturer point the finger at each other.....
    What's next????

5. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

6. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Sorry Controlmind, I missed your reply.

I'm not having a problem finding SPII, it just seems that my machine hates when I install it, although I admit I've only tried the downloaded version. Is there a reason to believe that the CD will work where the download didn't??(Pardon my ignorance, I am asking you this question sincerely).

7. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Shadow, again you hit the nail on the head with a few well placed links. The first one, of course, is Chris Quirk's excellent article to which I have made reference in the past, and which describes my problem exactly. ( I seem to have bad luck with the "bastard" products; Windows ME, Prescott processors, you name it!!)

I have just d/l'd the BIOS patch in the second link. After I'm ready, do you recommend a "clean" install (e.g. formatting my HD and reinstalling XP)before I install SPII? Or should I just go for it???

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

It's always best to install SP2 from a clean install, just make sure you update all your drivers before installing SP2.

9. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Sorry about the dumb question......
    I just downloaded the hotfix in Shadow's post. I double click it, but nothing happened. How do I know if the fix "took"?

Sheepishly, (and by that I mean with trepidation and embarassment!)

jtone

10. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Run Add or Remove Programs make sure Show Updates is checked.

The look for Windows XP Hotfix - KB885626

Of course it may have to Restart XP.

11. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I'd reccomemd Clean Install.
    Save the update above to CD.
    SP2 on CD.
    Bios update if avaible for P4 support
    Install windows, all your MOBO drivers/updated drivers, the KB885626, then SP2.

I've got a P4 rig running Prescott 3.0E, XP pro SP2 on Gigabyte 2004 GT Edition MOBO 865PE chipset, was designed to run P4 processors.
    I installed SP2 on fresh install it didnt miss a beat, nor did I notice any performance change from sp1 to sp2. (I'm AMD guy I just had to build a pentinum rig which I use for video editing) I found all is better disabling Hyper threading "it's all hype"

ECS or Asrock MOBO's for that matter are on the bottom of the list for Quality and the top of the list for being problemmatic.
    What attract's most people to em is the Price but ya get what ya pay for.

Seem's everyone likes to knock Microsoft but as for OS's XP is the best SP1 or SP2, SP2 being better.

12. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Allright, I'm beginning to feel good about this! I'll probably wait 'till after work tomorrow to actually do the install. Pardon the ignorant question, but is there an easy way to restore the computer to the way it is now?? Or do I have to just start from scratch? Essentially, is there a way to save the info on here before I uninstall XP? Similar to creating a restore point, to which I can return after I reinstall Windows?

Every time I've had to do this in the past, the HD crashed and I lost everything anyway, so I just formatted the drive, and started from scratch with the OS install. I wasn't worrying about saving anything already on the machine.

Thanks to all at MG for your assistance with this, and other, probs....

jtone

BTW Shadow-the hotfix "took". Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds