Not Allowing me to Update

Discussion in 'Software' started by CompleteNoob, Jul 6, 2005.

1. CompleteNoob

CompleteNoob Private E-2

Good Morning! :)

I am running Windows XP SP1 Home Edition.
    I've recently reinstalled my operating system due to booting it up one morning and it wouldn't load past the windows XP screen. ack!
    I turned off Automatic Updates for windows... and now I can't even update my system at all.

I've tried going to Control Panel > Windows Updates/ Problem: My computer will open IE V6 but stop responding

I've tried going directly to the microsoft site and following the appropiate links to get to the Windows Update center, as soon as I click "Windows Updates" / Problem: My computer will stop responding

I have ran Ad Aware Se, a complete virus scan with AVG, Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta version.. and everything is coming up clean.

However I'd like to also note - when I first boot up my computer - I *Believe* there's a misc program causing my computer to VERY VERY slowly start.. it takes about 2 minutes in full before any programs will load or anything will respond on boot up. How ever when I press cntrl-alt-delete to see what programs are running it shows nothing. When this is going on my CPU usage is an outstanding 100%!

What other problems could it be?

2. CompleteNoob

CompleteNoob Private E-2

Well there's several that are pretty large....

Presently my CPU is jumping from 8% to 15% back and forth.

Here's what I have for the REALLY large mem usuage

avgemc.exe - 10,628 K
    explorer.exe- 14,488 K
    Iexplore.exe - 15,504 K
    gcasDtserv.exe - 10,784 K

And the rest are between 2,000K and 8,000K
    It shows 26 Processes Running
    Commit Charge of 125848K/62064

Thank you! :)

3. CompleteNoob

CompleteNoob Private E-2

I don't have "My Computer" on my desktop...

I did however go to Control Panel > Auto Updates and double clicked it but it doesn't do anything.

How else can I enable Auto Updates?

Off to check out your suggested program right now.. thank you. :)

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Auto update service maybe stopped.. goto Control panel > Administrative Tools > Services and start and set to automatic Automatic Updates

also you could goto http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and you will be presented at some point to download an ActiveX component ....SAY YES.

5. CompleteNoob

CompleteNoob Private E-2

Thanks guys - did as you said and it says "Starting" but it wont allow to me to click "Start" ... it's just stuck there. ack! :rolleyes:

*HALO* When I click the link you posted IE wont respond... it wont even load the page... if I get any where near Windows Updates within Microsoft.com - IE bonks out. However, it's running fine when I surf around anywhere else... do you think it might be IE? I downloaded the V6 update last night and installed it....

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds