removing a virus detected by Norton but can't be removed using Norton instructions

Discussion in 'Software' started by bikli78, Jul 6, 2005.

1. bikli78

bikli78 Private E-2

Sometimes when I run adaware or spybot, a message from Norton will pop up saying a virus was found and could not be fixed. When I hit okay, it just keeps popping up. There is a link in the box to get more info and removal instructions, which I have followed and done and it says that no virus is found. The only way to close the box is to log off the user or restart the computer. The file they claim is infected is in the system 32 folder under "comaafk.dll". Any ideas on how I can rid of it?

Thanks!

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Safe mode. Files in use can not be deleted. Its Windows protection and a good idea. Tap f8 on reboot before the Windows splash screen, do a complete scan from there.

Sadly, random names dll files can often be spyware related. If you can not remove it, you will need to run the tutorial and start over in our spyware forum:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

I would do a complete scan with some tools in that tutorial while in safe mode anyhow. Its unlikely that is the only file causing you problems.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds