can I help?

Discussion in 'Software' started by noviceseeking.lol, Jul 6, 2005.

1. noviceseeking.lol

noviceseeking.lol Private E-2

hi is there a team member here?

I have only registered with the geeks today so i dunno if u want to take a chanceon a new guy who could be a competitor but i can honestly say i havent got a clue what your talking about!!!

I have got a new dual pipe pc (store bought advent T8) and a broadband connection!!!

I guess i dont actually use it as much as it could be but i need abc's on how to do and what to do as you can tell by my name i am not some1 you can just say do that too.

I would need an A.B.C walkthrough to connect it up ot whatever and they i can let it roll!!!

I am not asking for any secrets.lol and dont expect any just put me in the loop of what i can do.

i have symantec installed so if i need to configure any firewall stuff........ABC

well let me know it sounds like a good cause and would be nice to be even a small part of a winning team!

2. noviceseeking.lol

ok i have read a bit about it............gonna give it a whirl see what happens....lol

seeing as i am in the uk i should be able to leave it on all night and clock up some numbers but only if my firewall doesnt kill it.lol

3. noviceseeking.lol

how can i tell if this is working or not guys?

i suspect mu isp blocks the port or my firewall does?
    i have clicked on the use internet explorer part of the client i am using but i have done 0/500 in like 10-15 minutes so i suspect its not working!!!

come on tell me i want to go to bed 2.42 am here in the uk!!!!!

registered under ur team number so i dont want any bad marks going against you if i dont get it right!!!

4. mew2

mew2 Sergeant Major

it depends on what version you are running.. if you are running it as a service it will completely run in the background unseen... if you are running the graphics version there should be a little red flower or gear in your system tray. click that.. your computer will probably notify you the first time it uploads a completed WU. you just click allow.. pm me if you are still on and need more help :)

5. noprob

noprob Corporal

Ofcourse you can help, every little or alot adds to "our" team stats!
    Welcome aboard!
    and Thx. for joining!

Best suggestion I could give would be to view the top 3 [​IMG]stickies

6. noviceseeking.lol

ok guys thx............got myself a piece of amber (might mean something to you??? lol) anyway its going fine got it sorted now! it looks like i have done 140/500 since i started it 8 hours ago.........seems verryyyy slow to me but my processor is only pulling round about 48%. so!

1) what strain is it safe to leave your cpu running long distance at (i know 48% is easy peasy)

2) how can i make it run more quickly when i am in bed.lol i already have it set on make slightly higher priority but is there another way to turn it up a notch?

3) whats the usual time span on these blocks? is 140 in 8 hours average/slow???? just like to know how my pc is doing.lol

anyways just gonna leave it running in my system tray not doing any harm and think more people should do it as it is for scientific research and the geek team of course!

7. Publius

Publius Sergeant

The speed at which a certain work unit is completed is system dependant and work unit dependant. The more time consuming the work unit, the more points you are awarded for it.

I have 4 rigs total that all run at 100% when the systems are idle, and I have not seen any adverse effects.

The most efficient of the clients is the "No-nonsense text only" client which can be installed as a service. When you are installing the client, you are prompted for your name, team number (12072) and then you are asked a few other questions including whether or not to install as a service. Answer yes to this question then reboot and the program will run in the background.

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Sounds like you've got Hyper Threading enabled. We've found through a litle bit of research that Folding runs better without HT. If you can disable that through your bios setup, that would certainly help.

Running at 100% is fine, so long as your cooling system is correctly configured. If you've got a decent store bought PC that shouldn't be a problem; if you've made your own you should have done some extensive testing of the cooling setup.

Bearing that in mind, you can only get a max of 50% with Hyper threading enabled, another good reason to turn off. There is a trick to get all 100% with HT enabled, but it isn't as efficient as with HT disabled!

I echo that console clients are the most efficient, especially as a service. Only problem is you might want to use a program like EMIII to monitor your progress, since the application is invisible.

9. noprob

noprob Corporal

There is also another program to use if desired instead of EMIII
    to monitor the console version(s) called:
    FahMon v1.8.1 (20/03/05)

10. noviceseeking.lol

hi guys thats helpful thx.

finished 5 wu's.( not much i know but its a start and every little helps!!)

yes i have hyper threading enabled so my question would be if i disable that wouldnt that have a negative effect on using the system multi tasking whilst still folding?

I have the folding running alll the time since i started it (have been using the windows xp 5.03 software version) and yes the most i can get is 50% with the hyper threading enabled but on the other hand myself amnd my kids can still use the pc to do anything else we want and the folding continues at a constant 50%.

i am not too concerned with over heating its a new system and its more than adequately cooled!

what i was looking for was a way (when we are not using the pc at all ie. overnight) to boost the processing for 10 hours or so.

possibly disabling the hyperthreading overnight and enabling it the next morning could be the answer? but any thoughts aprreciated.

to be honest there is something very satisfying about knowing that your home pc is contributing in even a small way to help with medical research.

it costs us nothing and who knows maybe together we can help cure some diseases that we might all 1 day have the misfortune to contract!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds