Update Windows with Firefox??

Discussion in 'Software' started by jtone, Jul 7, 2005.

1. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Having all kinds of probs with IE6-which I almost never use, except to update Windows, which brings me to my next prob......I can't update Windows. For those of you unfamiliar with my ranting style, I'm attempting another SPII install. One of the many things that I still need to do first, is update Windows, hence my prob.

Rather that have you guys walk me through the "fix" (if there is one, that is) can someone let me know if it's possible to use Firefox at the "Windows Update" website and if so, how????

Otherwise, we'll try to fix IE.
    Thanks

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

No, FF does not implement ActiveX; and you need to have an ActiveX enabled browser. Netscape 8 is ActiveX capable.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

4. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Shadow, Theefool.....

Thanks for the replies. I am getting an error message 0x8DDD0004 when I go to Windows update.

I also have script errors in IE6-buttons don't appear.

What's next?

5. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Try this:

Start -> Run, type CMD

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll

Enter after each line

6. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Still same probs-neither Windows update nor Microsoft update will work, and all of my buttons are red x's (in IE only, FF okay).

Typed in entries as directed in Shadow PD's reply. The first time through, it didn't work for the last two, but on the second attempt, all five were successfully loaded. I also did them in the order that they appeared in the post, if that matters....rebooted machine and logged on to Windows update with same probs-nothing happens.

7. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Do you have the SP2 CD from Microsoft?

8. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Clarification of this post:

I am referring to using Windows or Microsoft update, as opposed to downloading the SPII patch. I do not auto update because of many probs you guys don't want to hear me complain about; I update manually. When I attempted to do a Windows Update this afternoon, I was unsuccessful. I am in the midst of straightening out this machine before I do the SPII install, and updating Windows was the next thing on the list......I have never had a problem with Windows update before, but I've never lost the graphics on my buttons before, either.

Ideas are appreciated

jtone
    PS Shadow, I just saw your reply. No I do not have the CD-guess I should just order it, huh?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  9. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Order the CD, you'll get it in a few days. The problems you are experiencing may go away when you load SP2 from the CD. Make sure you load the patch and update your hardware drivers before loading SP2 from the CD.

10. N5638J

N5638J Guest

i dont want to high jack this thread but thanks shadow because i was thinking that they charge for it now all i have to do is wait the 4-6weeks for it[​IMG] haha

11. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try these also,

Start > Run, type CMD

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 softpub.dll
    regsvr32 mssip32.dll

Steve

12. Shadow_Puter_Dude

It's still free; here's the site: Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD. I got mine in less than a week.

13. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Thanks to all for your input....

Been quite busy for the last couple of days, so I've had to put this prob on hold for a bit. I've ordered the SPII UpdateCD from Microsloth and it's on the way here.

I've got a few questions pertaining to a "clean" install, but I'll end this thread and post a new one about that in the next day or two.

Peace

jtone

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds