Installing Mozilla Firefox Browser

Discussion in 'Software' started by moobie, Jul 7, 2005.

1. moobie

moobie Private E-2

I tried to install the browser but I always get an error saying...
    Error occurred during installation - Firefox Browser: 1009 & it never finish installing.
    what does this mean?
    :confused:

2. moobie

moobie Private E-2

anyone?

3. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Are you trying to install Firefox on just your profile? If so, try installing it using the 'Any User' option.

4. moobie

moobie Private E-2

ok I got it installed but now whenever I try to browse the internet, it freezes completely.
    :(

5. jak3y

jak3y Guest

did you have this browser installed before?
    if not, go to the spyware forum, check the sticky
    "READ THIS BEFORE..."

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

7. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Do the following:

1. Uninstall Firefox using Add or Remove Programs from the Control Panel.

2. Open Windows Explore navigate to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox <--- Delete the Entire folder

3. Enable viewing of hidden files and folders and extensions. Start Windows Explorer and click on your main hard drive, usually c:\. Then select Tools from the top of Windows Explorer and then Folder Options. Go to the View tab. Scroll down to the folder icon that says Hidden files and folders and check show hidden files and folders. Also, right below this option, uncheck the hide file extensions for known types. Also for Win NT, 2000, & XP systems, uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.

4. navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox <--- Delete the Entire folder

NOTE: %USER% is the user account you are deleting the folder from. Delete that folder from all user accounts.

5. Install Firefox

8. jak3y

jak3y Guest

Shadow i remember tryin that and it helped a little...but i also had to do the following below...(no offense here Puter'Dude) :) .

To ensure an absolutely trouble-free experience with the latest version of Firefox it is always recommended that you uninstall any previous version of Firefox completely before installing a new one. To completely remove all traces of Firefox from your system follow these steps:

1. Go to Windows Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, and if a 'Mozilla Firefox' entry (or similar) exists, select it and click Change/Remove and uninstall it. Reboot if required.

2. Go to your Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla directory and delete the entire \Firefox subdirectory and all of its contents. Note that this will delete all of your bookmarks and saved settings. If you want to backup any or all of your current Profile, see the Customizing Firefox section first.

3. Go to your \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ directory and delete it and all of its contents.

4. Using a registry cleaner like Lexun RegScrub, find and remove all Firefox/Mozilla-related entries (usually there are several Mozilla entries to be found) and remove them. Alternatively you can use the Registry Editor (Start>Run>Regedit) and delete the following keys - that is, right click on their name in the left pane of Registry Editor and select Delete:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\firefox.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org]

BUT ONLY DO THIS ifff you're comfortable with editing the registry.
    It's fairly simple...just follow it to the T and you'll be okay.
    Otherwise, don't do it.

When using RegScrub
    click->RegScrub Finds Problems
    *wait*
    click->Select All Problems
    click->Fix Selected Problems

9. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Good info on the Registry Entries, jak3y. I don't know everything. I've added that info to the template I have for firefox issues.

10. jak3y

jak3y Guest

ya it worked great after i had done it.
    however, not so great even if you install the "no script" extension and then uinstall it...and do all of the above...maybe it's coincidental but on the rare occassion, firefox would crash and leave me a window saying something along the lines of "exception error, please close firefox...etc...etc"
    not verbadum, but close to that...like i said though, it could be coincidence. :confused:

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

What version of firefox are you using?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds