Regarding The Spyware Forum

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ANHEDONIC, Jul 14, 2005.

1. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

so i see only moderators are allowed to post in there now... I always read the Spyware forum... i enjoy reading people's posts and seeing them get their issues resolved by BJ and Chas's invaluable instructions...

i never offer removal instructions as i don't have the knowledge to do so... but i do post when people fail to follow posting instructions or fail to follow the steps outlined in the readme before posting... i also sometimes post about what spyware programs i use on my PC when people ask for recommendations and advice... i figured it was the least i could so since BJ and Chas usually have to sift through so many posts a day... also, i was part of the Spyware Pep Squad, offering *highfives* & GJ's when they successfully resolved someone's issue... i was the emotional backbone of that forum!

can apply for limited access to that forum?

also, since i can't thank him in that forum, a big thank you to BJGarrick for resolving my friend's spyware issue, whom i referred to the website...

GJ! :D *highfive*

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

I think I posted twice in the spyware forum. I usually stay away from it, since I deal with spyware everyday at work. I respect the guys (and gals?) who dedicated themselves with working with these issues. Almost seems to be a full time job doint this.

I know in the past that I tried helping individuals on the net-integration forums....I got told to stop and that I have to take an online course with how to remove them. Also, have to be sponsored (I believe, memory is flagging). So, I stopped....haven't been back since. Jumped to ntcompatible "forums" for awhile, now I'm here.

So far, this has been a great place to hang out and help others.

One day, I'll support the site, by buying a few shirts....

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

PM chaslang regarding this. No help is to be found here in the Lounge.

4. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

You must be confusing Spyware with Virus forums, NICK ADSL UK works by himself, in the Virus area……………spyware forum you can still, ask for help

5. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

wobbles i'm not talking about posting my own thread, i was talking about posting in other threads...

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

I posted there a few times, then stopped. Decided it was better to watch them solve problems and further my knowledge, I'm fairly descent at eradicting those kinds of pests; but BJ, Chas and PhilliePhan, their in a league of their own, they are good, very good.

7. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

As so many people miss important threads in various forums I'll add this link to the announcement thread in spyware: Announcement: New Policy On Malware Fighters

As Adrynalyne said, contact chaslang...he is in charge of that forum and will determine who has the knowledge, desire and ability to be a Malware Fighter.

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Regarding the no posting in others threads.
    The policy was instituted not as a punishment but as a preventative measure for the initial thread starter. Recently there had been responses that were flat out not helpful or misguided approaches that would have left the thread starter in the same position he/she was in. We decided that to prevent this from happening that it would be beneficial if we removed reply to other thread posting privileges. If the original poster did not follow instructions, then please use the REPORT A THREAD function and an admin, mod or an Authorized member will take care of it.

If anyone wishes to become an Authorized member they will have to begin with contacting Chaslang. At this time, we are not accepting new Authorized members, however. The process of becoming one is still under construction as far as I know.

Thank you.

[edit] sorry babs.. I was typing this and got interrupted several times before I could finish and post it.

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Makes a lot of sense to me. I know when I first came to MG it was because I had spyware issues. Posting in the Spyware Forum was great but I hd no idea who wa replying, so just tooka deep breath, followed the stickys and then further followed helpful postings that were made to my initial post (thankfully it was Chaslang who responded)

Newbies don't know who is who in here....I think the fact MGs has taken time out to make it even safer for a new user to come here and get assistance that is safe and correct is a further credit to them :D

Malware Fighters huh? sounds kinda cool...can I be a "Wannabee Malware Fighter " now please? :p

NB: I know very little about malware lol

10. Mississippimud

Mississippimud Private E-2

i think this is a good idea also. my first trip to this site was for spyware solutions and i read some answers that i knew to be off base and not helpfull (tho im sure the intentions were good).

i am rapidly becomming a spyware geek and have learned a lot from Chas and company. they have taught me some new tricks and also helped me afirm that some of the stuff i have come up with on my own has been pretty acurate. (and some not so acurate...lol)

if i thought i had the time i would apply for "Wannabee Malware Fighter" to

11. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

As Kodo indicated, this step was necessary an in the best interest of all users coming here for help. The idea of approving the appointment of Malware Fighters will help us to maintain high standards in that forum. As you all know the Spyware Forum is exceptionally busy. Sure we want help, but we want the right kind of help. We understand that many people may have sufficient knowledge to help out with various problems (maybe even all of them), but that is not enough. The willingness to take the time to be in the forum often enough to help out in a timely manner is very important. We also had to many fly by postings which typically result in delaying a user from getting the real help they need. Answering a thread moves the thread up higher in the queue and we try to deal with older threads (unanswered and threads in progress) first.

At anyrate people serious about wanting to help can send in their applications ;) to me (actually to Admin or Mod - it will still get to me).

Make sure you brush up on your Calculus and Differential Equations first ..... just kidding.:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds