1. barryh

barryh Private E-2

I've got a bug and not sure what to do. I have followed the Basic Procedures time and time again, but to no avail. I am unable to log onto the internet in normal mode so I run the online scans in safe mode. Smitfraud has showed up several times in Spybot scan, but keeps coming back. I've gone thru the Hijack this Log, but can't find too much that looks strange. I run XP. Computer won't do normal shutdow and hangs on "Saving Settings" while in normal mode. When I try to log onto the internet in normal mode I get blank screen and Norton antivirus immediately shuts off. Please Help!

2. barryh

barryh Private E-2

Re: Help! I've Got Bug Problems

Any Help would be much appreciated!

3. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Please download HOSTER and then follow the below steps.
    • Unzip Hoster to a convenient folder such as C:\Hoster
    • Run Hoster.exe, click Restore Original Hosts and then click OK.
    • Click the X to exit the program.

Now please follow standard cleanup procedures as given below:

- Run ALL the steps in this Sticky thread READ ME FIRST BEFORE ASKING FOR SUPPORT: Basic Spyware, Trojan And Virus Removal

Make sure you check version numbers and get all updates.

- Very Important: Make sure you tell us the results from running the tutorial...was anything found? Were you unable to complete any of the scans?...Were you unable to download any of the tools?...Did you do the on-line scans as suggested? etc.

After doing ALL of the above and you still have a problem, make sure you have booted to normal mode and run the steps below:

[​IMG] Download HijackThis 1.99.1

[​IMG] Unzip the hijackthis.exe file to a folder you create named C:\Program Files\HJT

[​IMG] Do NOT run Hijack This from the Desktop, a temp folder, or a sub-folder of C:\Documents and Settings, or choose to run it directly from the ZIP file as your backups will not be safely stored.

[​IMG]Before running HijackThis: You must close each of the following:your web browser, e-mail client, instant messenger, and programs like notepad, wordpad, MS Word etc. And any other unnecessary running programs.

[​IMG]Run HijackThis and save your log file.

[​IMG] Post your log as an ATTACHMENT to your next post. (Do NOT copy/paste the log into your post as it will be removed).

[​IMG]Need help with HJT? See this thread: NO HIJACK THIS LOG FILES BEFORE READING THIS: HJT Tutorial & LOG File Posting

4. barryh

barryh Private E-2

I have followed all instructions on Basic Spyware and here is the posted HIJack Log File Requested. Thanks for any help you can give!
    Barryh

Attached Files:

5. barryh

barryh Private E-2

Here is the HIJack this log in Normal mode. OTher log was from Safe Mode. Decided this is probably what you would need.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  6. barryh

barryh Private E-2

Here goes again! This is HIJack Log in Normal Mode instead of SAfe Mode. I have completed all steps in Basic instructions

Attached Files:

7. bjgarrick

Download the following two files, create a folder on your desktop, call it TSC. Save these 2 files there!

Sysclean Package

Pattern.zip

Once you have these downloaded into the folder you just created, REBOOT INTO SAFE MODE!

Once in Safe Mode double click the file sysclean.com. When the system cleaner loads, click SCAN to start the scanner. After you complete the scan reboot and attach a fresh HJT log.

8. barryh

barryh Private E-2

Ok. Here is my HIJack This log after sysclean. Thanks for you help.

Attached Files:

9. bjgarrick

Download LSP-Fix

After download is complete, Run LSP-Fix

Check the Box labeled "I know what I'm doing" and then click on the mwtsp.dll file (in the “Keep” section) to select it.

Then, Select the >> button to move mwtsp.dll into the Remove section.

Now, click the Finish Button. When the Repair Summary box appears, click OK.

(Note: If the file mwtsp.dll is already in the remove section, then just click FINISH.)

After you complete the above, reboot and attach a fresh HJT log.

10. barryh

barryh Private E-2

Ok. Did what you asked. Here's the new log. By the way I'm now able to log onto the internet in normal mode, but my computer is still not shutting down properly and on startup it comes up with blank screen. When I hit enter it goes to desktop. Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

11. bjgarrick

Your Operating System and Internet Explorer versions are WAY out of date and represent a major security risk. After we fix your current problems, you must get updated. You need to install Service Pack 2 for security purposes.

Copy the contents of the Quote Box below to Notepad. Then click File and then Save As. Change the Save as Type to All Files. Name the file fix.reg and then click save. (make sure you save it somewhere you can find it. Saving it to your Desktop may make that easy.)
    Double-click on the fix.reg file on your desktop (or locate it with Windows Explorer and double click on it if not saved to the Desktop) and when it prompts to merge, click YES!

Now scan with HijackThis and Check the Boxes for the following:

Make sure All Browser Windows are Closed when you Click FIX.

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://hsremove.com/done.htm

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)

O16 - DPF: {03F998B2-0E00-11D3-A498-00104B6EB52E} - https://components.viewpoint.com/MTSInstallers/MetaStream3.cab?url=http://www.vi ewpoint.com/cgi-bin/compaq/vet_install_popup.pl?1&04.00.07.02-hp&http://www.smb. compaq.com/dstore/html/interactive/4100mfp/model.html
    O16 - DPF: {739E8D90-2F4C-43AD-A1B8-66C356FCEA35} (RunExeActiveX.RunExe) - hcp://system/RunExeActiveX.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {99CDFD87-F97A-42E1-9C13-D18220D90AD1} (StartFirstControl.CheckFirst) - hcp://system/StartFirstControl.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {E5D419D6-A846-4514-9FAD-97E826C84822} -

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{34F1D5A9-C93D-4044-9D49-1833644EF67D}: NameServer = 63.98.191.138,208.245.208.10
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{34F1D5A9-C93D-4044-9D49-1833644EF67D}: NameServer = 63.98.191.138,208.245.208.10
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{34F1D5A9-C93D-4044-9D49-1833644EF67D}: NameServer = 63.98.191.138,208.245.208.10

Again, make sure All Browser Windows are Closed when you Click FIX.

NOW:
    Please boot into Safe Mode with the Viewing of Hidden Files & Folders Enabled and navigate to and DELETE the following if they should remain:

C:\DOWNLO~1\INST_TSP.EXE

NEXT:
    Run CCleaner to clean up cookies and temp files.

Run full scans with Ad-Aware SE & Spybot S&D and have both programs fix what they find.
    Note: Remember to get all updates before doing the scans.

Then, as an added precaution, Go to Start > Run and type: cleanmgr and then click OK. Make sure the boxes for these are checked:
    Temporary Files
    Temporary Internet Files
    Recycle Bin

And Click OK.

Reboot to Normal Windows , Scan with HijackThis and attach the new log.

12. barryh

barryh Private E-2

I followed the steps you outlined in previous posts. Spybot and AdAware both came back clean. I am still not able to shut down in normal mode properly. It gets hung on Saving settings. Was not able to get on internet this time. Acted like it was going, but never did. Norton Antivirus is still not loading at startup and wondered if its creating some of the problems. As far as SP2 goes...I've tried to load several times but it locks my system down. Here is my new HIJack This Log. Thank you so much for all your help!
    Barryh

Attached Files:

13. bjgarrick

Locate and run LSP-Fix

Check the Box labeled "I know what I'm doing" and then click on the mwtsp.dll file (in the “Keep” section) to select it.

Then, Select the >> button to move mwtsp.dll into the Remove section.

Now, click the Finish Button. When the Repair Summary box appears, click OK.

(Note: If the file mwtsp.dll is already in the remove section, then just click FINISH.)

After you complete the above, lets remove Norton as thats probably causing some problems if its not loading.

What version of Norton do you have 2002, 2003, 2004??

14. barryh

barryh Private E-2

I am running Norton Internet Security 2005. I have tried to remove it by going to add/remove programs because I believed it was probably causing problems but it would not remove..just logs down.

15. barryh

barryh Private E-2

Ok. I had trouble getting Windows to load in normal mode to run the LSP Fix. So I went in to MSConfig and disabled all of Symantec startup sets and a couple of things (Tea Timer, Messenger) hoping I would be able to startup in normal mode. That it did. However, when I ran LSP Fix, the mwtsp.dll file was not one of the files listed. Help!
    Thanks again,
    BarryH

16. bjgarrick

Download this file SymNRT

Once download is complete double-click SymNRT.exe, and then follow the on-screen instructions. After it completes you will need to restart your computer. After you have restarted attach a fresh HJT log.

17. barryh

barryh Private E-2

Well I went to remove Norton and it says I must remove PCAnywhere before using the tool symnrt.exe. I am unable to do that with add/remove programs. Do I manually remove PC Anywhere using the instructions from symantec website by editing registry and deleting the folders? Sorry to be such a pain.
    Barryh

18. barryh

barryh Private E-2

Well I followed procedures to manually remove PC Anywhere, but the Norton Internet Security Removal tool still says it cannot remove until PC Anywhere is removed. So I'm not sure what to do next. I'm about ready to cry "uncle" and format the whole drive. I've been working on this for 5-6 days and I can't continue for much longer. If it looks like you will not be able to help me, please advise so I can move on.
    Thanks,
    barryh

19. barryh

barryh Private E-2

Finally got PCAnywhere removed, but the removal tool for Norton Internet Security that you posted says when i try to run it that it has expired. Any thoughts?

20. bjgarrick

Delete the tool you have, re-download the tool from the link I provided you with.

Reboot into Safe Mode and run the tool.

21. barryh

barryh Private E-2

I've already tried that...It still doesn't work. I still get the message that the tool has expired.

22. barryh

barryh Private E-2

SYMNRT did not work, but was able (although not sure why) to use Add/Remove Programs and NAV Internet Security has been removed. It seems to have taken care of most of problems, I think. I know I have some issues with updating internet exlorer and XP. As I mentioned before I have had difficulty loading SP2. Anyway, I have attached a new HiJack This Log for your review. Please tell me what you think.
    Thanks for your help,
    BarryH

Attached Files:

23. bjgarrick

Scan with HijackThis and Check the Boxes for the following:

Make sure All Browser Windows are Closed when you Click FIX.

O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    (These were added from Spybot S&D most likely, these will need to be removed)

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm

O16 - DPF: {03F998B2-0E00-11D3-A498-00104B6EB52E} - https://components.viewpoint.com/MTSInstallers/MetaStream3.cab?url=http://www.vi ewpoint.com/cgi-bin/compaq/vet_install_popup.pl?1&04.00.07.02-hp&http://www.smb. compaq.com/dstore/html/interactive/4100mfp/model.html
    O16 - DPF: {739E8D90-2F4C-43AD-A1B8-66C356FCEA35} (RunExeActiveX.RunExe) - hcp://system/RunExeActiveX.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {99CDFD87-F97A-42E1-9C13-D18220D90AD1} (StartFirstControl.CheckFirst) - hcp://system/StartFirstControl.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {E5D419D6-A846-4514-9FAD-97E826C84822} -

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{34F1D5A9-C93D-4044-9D49-1833644EF67D}: NameServer = 63.98.191.138,208.245.208.10
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{34F1D5A9-C93D-4044-9D49-1833644EF67D}: NameServer = 63.98.191.138,208.245.208.10
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{34F1D5A9-C93D-4044-9D49-1833644EF67D}: NameServer = 63.98.191.138,208.245.208.10

Again, make sure All Browser Windows are Closed when you Click FIX.

NEXT:
    Run CCleaner to clean up cookies and temp files.

Download this trial version of Ewido Security Suite

• Install ewido security suite
    • Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop double-click it.
    • The program will have a window come up. One of the buttons on the left is to Update. Click the Update button.and then Start the Update. The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
    • After it completes the update, click the Scanner button

Now exit Ewido. Now print the below instructions or save them locally because I want you do have no browsers opened and also have no connection to the internet (unplug your cable) while doing the below.

Okay, reboot into safe mode and follow the steps below. (If you have any problems at all trying to get into safe mode to complete these steps, just run them in normal boot mode and make sure you tell me when you come back.)

Open up Ewido and do the following:

• Click on Scanner
    • Then click Settings
    • Under What to Scan? Select Scan every file
    • Then click OK
    • Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will start.
    • Let the program scan the machine
    While the scan is in progress you will be prompted to clean files that are infected. Leave the defaults selections (to Remove and backup) and click OK. To save yourself some time, you can select Perform action with all infections and then click OK. With the option to scan every file, a lot of cookies will be removed.

Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report

• Click Save report
    • Save the report to your desktop or anyplace you will be able to find it to upload here.
    Reboot into normal mode and reconnect to the internet.

Come back here and post the Ewido Scan Report along with a fresh HJT log. Also let me know what problems you are still experiencing.

24. barryh

barryh Private E-2

Ok, Here are the logs you requested. Hope this gives you what you need. Computer is running better although seems a bit sluggish at times and will not shutdown properly. Sticks on Saving Settings. Thats really the only things i've noticed. Thanks for your help!
    BarryH

Attached Files:

25. bjgarrick

These were not removed, you must remove these entries within the program.

Before we do anything else you must get updated. You need to install Service Pack 2 for security purposes and other reasons.

Download Service Pack 2

After you have installed SP2, reboot and attach a fresh HJT log.

26. barryh

barryh Private E-2

There's nothing checked on IE tweaks in the advanced mode of spybot, so if those two 06 entries from the hjt log are from that program, what else do I check? I went to regedit and cked those keys and there's nothing to indicate what program they are from so how do I get rid of them?

27. bjgarrick

Your first priority is installing SP2, the longer you surf without it the more open you are to reinfection.

After you get this update we will continue further. Try Ad-Aware, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster because they can sometimes cause those entries as well.

28. barryh

barryh Private E-2

I downloaded SP2 and then installed it. The first time it would not install. Got hung up. Booted in normal mode using only basic utilities and got SP2 to load. However, when I installed and rebooted, I got a message saying that there was a ati2dvag error causing infinate loop. Went into safe mode to see if there was a driver that needed installing. Wasn't able to log onto the internet and ended up uninstalling SP2. Now when I tried to load an updated driver which seems to me to be what we need, windows installer opens and hangs up. So again, I have had no luck. What am I missing?
    BarryH

29. bjgarrick

Post this problem in the Software Forum, get this fixed up and then come back to this thread and we will address any problems you have.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds