Windows XP repair installation questions.

Discussion in 'Software' started by theefool, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theefool

theefool Geekified

Situation, got a laptop (XP Pro) that is going through the "Repair" installation of XP PRO.

During installation, the install process pauses/stops during "Network Installation".

Does anyone know how to get passed this?

Items that I have already done.

Press Shift + F10, which brings up "dos".

taskmgr (wrhich brings up task manager). All processes are normal.
    I can bring up device manager, and remove all networking devices, I.E. modem, and network devices.

I can bring up service manager and disable all networking related services.

None of these have helped.

Any ideas?

2nd question:

Is there a way to prevent XP from starting an already initialized xp repair?

No, I didn't want to initialize a repair installation, but wanted to fix the initial problems myself. But, when you are told to do something, you do it.

Note: No viruses, no spyware, no malware is installed.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them. Any ideas, please post them.

2. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

How long have you given it? Might just need to wait longer. For whatever reason, at certain points it can appear to be hung-up. Seriously, I'd let it go and mybe check on it tomorrow.

-Steve

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, if 15 hours is not long enough, I could try longer. ;)

I let it sit after work, came back this morning and it was still at the same spot.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hmm...it still responds even while hung?

I don't think this will help, but I'll tell you anyway: I've had installations fail because of a CMOS battery dying. Once that battery was replaced, the install resumed perfectly.

5. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

The first one sounds like defective media. Clean the CD and see what that does.

After a failed install, whenever windows restarts the install and keeps hanging, I just nuke the drive and start from scratch. I know that probably isn't what you want to hear; but I have not figured out how to stop the installer from resuming the failed install.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

CD is brand new, also tried a 2nd cd already, also brand new.

One of these days, I'll figure this out. Unfortunately, this is a "rush" box.

So, I'm waiting on the boss. More than likely, I'll be taking the hard drive out of the laptop, ghost the data, then format, reinstall.

The laptop battery is an interesting theory to try, but unfortunately, I'm not authorized (yet) to take the laptop apart to hunt down the battery. :)

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

This has been the solution to many problems of mine. Also, its cheap and easy to try. If it doesn't work, you're out....$5.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Anyway, I just wanted to say, that I ghosted the laptop drive, and fdisk/reformatted the drive and xp is installing just fine.

I also want to say that I think I figured out how to stop a repair installation. Just a theory right now, but I think I got it.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\BootExecute

Typically BootExecute will only have ---> autocheck autochk *

For example, if you wanted avast to do a boot scan, the above gets edited with the following:
    autocheck autochk *
    aswBoot.exe /A:"*" /L:"English"

For me it does.

Well, anyway, I saw the following entry in there:

autocheck autochk *
    sprestrt

I googled that and found out that this is the setup routine for windows setup/repair.

Well, anyway, it is to late now, though, I could ghost the data back, but, I'll wait again when this comes up again. So, next time I'll delete the sprestrt portion and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds