Who came name any upcoming PC technologies

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DCO57, Sep 30, 2005.

1. DCO57

DCO57 Private E-2

Fellow geeks,
    I always try to keep abreast of any advancements in PC hardware.Sometimes you'll read about something in developement and the next thing you know, its in the stores.
    Lets see if we can get a list going of all new devices (buses,hdd interfaces,wireless networking, etc) that are either just now being introduced, are now being released as beta tests, or plan on hitting the market within the next year.
    For example, isn't there a replacement for TCP/IP that will completely change internet protocol? I thought it was called UCP or something like that.
    I also heard of a few new serial buses that will replace PCI-X.
    I'll admit, I don't have much to contribute, but I think it'll be worth starting this thread if theres enough replies.
    Thanks...DCO

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yes, TCP/IP is supposed to undergo a major change, just 'cause we're running out of IP addresses. TCP/IP v6 is apparently in the works. This would have 128 bit addresses, as opposed to out current 32 bit addresses. (ie 192.168.2.100 is 4 groups of 8 binary digits)

Another new technology that's caught my attention is the use of nanowires in processors. This would allow MUCH for computing capacity in the same area of the chip... can't wait to find out more....

3. DCO57

DCO57 Private E-2

I have a few:
    -OUM memory (Ovonic Unified Memory). Instead of modules (sticks), this new type of RAM will be the size of a hard drive use a hard drive bay. OUM is static RAM, so it doesn't erase when you shut down the PC (or you lose power).
    It'll be cheap (unlike other types of static memory, like cache) and can hold many GBs (as many as any OS or BIOS will support). It was slated for release in 2005, but I guess they're running behind schedule because I've seen no mention of it lately.

-Wet Disk hard drives. These hdds will use a liquid instead of air to skim the head along the surface of the disk platter. This will allow greater speeds and less crashes.

I really hope more people add to this. Its good for any tech to know what new advancements are planned for our industry. When talking to a customer, they'll only take you seriously if you're up on all the recent (and upcoming) technologies.Lets try to get a big list going here.Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds