Weird problem with my router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monkeygola, Sep 30, 2005.

1. monkeygola

monkeygola Private E-2

Hi guys,
    Sorry that my first post is asking for help, but I'm really stuck. I've got three computers plugged into a DI-604 router which has started playing up recently; when it's plugged in, all three Ip addresses are assigned by DCHP and work, the network works fine, but I can't access the Internet. I think I've found the problem:

http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fdsfdsfds4pn.jpg

The status is always 'reconfiguring' and never produces a result. Any ideas how to fix this?
    Thanks a lot,
    Dave

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

What happens when you try to access the internet? Do you get a request timed out? Did it work before, and just stop, or could you never access the internet with this setup?

Is your router set up as your default gateway? Go into the properties of all your connected network cards, and be sure that the router's IP is specified as your default gateway. It may also be easier to have static internal IPs.
    Can you ping the router? This ensures connectivity to it. (From your post I would assume that this is okay. Can you ping your modem? This would ensure that connectivity between the router and internet. A cable would be an easy fix. If you can ping both, can you ping a website (ie www.google.com) if not, what does it say?
    Have you tried updating the router's firmware? Have you power cycled the modem? (ie unplugged it, waited 10-30 secs, and replugged it?)

3. monkeygola

monkeygola Private E-2

Thanks for the quick reply. Accessing the Internet just times out; it worked fine until just a couple of days on a setup that's worked for the best part of 2 to 3 years.

The default gateway was set to be found automatically; changing it to 192.168.0.1 has no luck. I've tried updating the firmware, I've not powercycled the modem, I'll do that in a second. Thanks for the ideas!

EDIT: I've just got annoyed and kicked the router; the front lights went off, then came back on. Now I can access the Internet?!? I'm stumped if I can work that one out, lol! Thanks for the advice anyway, friend.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds