No boot on Pc Chips board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Radiofool, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Radiofool

Radiofool Private First Class

Hey there! Just bought a Pc Chips K7M848ALU mobo, new PSU and CPU to upgrade home comp. When all connected up, the mobo failed to POST, audio or video.

We removed the graphics card, all IDE cables, cleared CMOS and disconnected everything from the PSU except the MOBO.

The CPU heatsink fan is powered, as is mouse (usb) and keyboard.

It seems as if the mobo hasn't had BIOS installed.. Do you think this is the problem? I've already sent one of these mobos back as it caught fire on boot, but i'm not sure if its the mobo or the PSU that is faulty.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

I don;t mean to pick on you, but if the first board caught fire on you, why on earth did you get another pc chips???

3. Radiofool

Haha. i'm building an upgrade for a younger brother so severely limited financing. Do they have a bad rep?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

A few options off top of my head...

I wonder if Mobo is grounding in case, check the mobo risers, motherboard for anything making contact with other items ( one option is to remove PSU, mobo from case and very carefully power it up outside the case, with bare min hardware plugged in to get a post screen ~ but attempt this ONLY if confident )

Try another PSU

5. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

"Do they have a bad rep?"

Yes, possibly the worst in the mobo industry. I've heard some good things about foxxcons, and I think they're pretty cheap.

6. Radiofool

Ugh. I'll try what you suggested, thanks.

I think after that i'll try hitting it with sledgehammers.

Won't make it work but the therapy will be invaluable.

Thanks for you help guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds