Modem Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Footys, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Footys

Footys Private E-2

I wonder if anyone can help me with a most annoying problem. A friend of mine has a laptop, and couldnt connect to the internet because it kept saying "port cannot be opened" when he tried to dial up. I had a spare usb modem, so I installed that for him, but still get the same problem when dialing up "this port cannot be opened" or "port already in use". I`ve tried everything I can think of, formatting the drive and reinstalling windows etc and the modem works fine on other computers.

I`m using Windows XP on the laptop, and the modem is a 56k conexant v92 usb modem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. kjanz

kjanz Corporal

go into the device manager, remove the port the modem is connected to
    i.e, com 1 or 2 or 3 or whatever it is.

reboot, let windows reinstall

3. Footys

Footys Private E-2

Hi

Thanks for the reply. In device manager, there is only one com port listed, along with lpt1, yet when I connect the external modem it says its on com 3, and also the internal modem is showing as com 2.

Any ideas?

4. kjanz

kjanz Corporal

if you want to 'see' those 2 com ports,

go to add new hardware.

open and choose ports.

add as many com ports as you need.

5. zepper

zepper Corporal

Ports listed under the Ports heading in Dev Mgr are Physical Ports - the ports created by PCI softmodems won't be listed. A few PCI modems (called full hardware modems) have a physical UART on them which interfaces to the PCI bus (USR makes the only one I know of off-hand - though Zoom claims a similar device), so those will show up in the Ports list. To find what "port" a PCI soft modem is on, you have to look at the Properties under the modem itself in DevMgr.

.bh.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds