losing wired WAN connection after several hours, but LAN & router OK

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomatosld, Sep 30, 2005.

1. tomatosld

tomatosld Private E-2

Greetings Geeks!

This is my first post, so please be gentle.

I have a problem with my internet connection failing after several hours. The error message states that the host could not be found. (Not your typical page can't be displayed message.) The apdapter does not show as disconnected and I am still able to access other computers on my LAN, so the NIC is OK. (In other words, Ipconfig /renew does nothing.) Other computers on the LAN are still able to access the internet, so the router is OK too. (In other words, rebooting the modem and router do nothing.) A simple Log Off (no full reboot necessary) fixes the problem every time. Weirdness...

I've run the standard anti-spyware, adware, virus stuff and *appear* to be clean from hijackers.

My problems started when I installed a new wireless/wired combo router (DLink DI524 revC). I was previously using a wired only LinkSys router with no problems. The PC having problems is an older wired WinXP Pro AMD1300 with 700+MB RAM, and using the on-board NIC (CAT5) that came with my MSI KTPro MB. With the installation of the new router, I also installed File and Print Sharing for Windows, NetBIOS, and enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP. In addition to the hardware router/firewall, I also use EZ Armor's firewall, which is configured correctly (I believe) and has not changed since this problem began.

I suspect there is a DHCP conflict or conflict with TCP/IP and the new NETBios I installed. Is this possible? Would that let me on the internet for a while and then clog up as packets crashed into each other, but then still let me talk to the laptop? Would a log off reset it? How do I fix it? Can I uninstall NETBios and still share the printer?

You all are very generous to offer your help to the rest of us. Thanks in advance.

2. kjanz

kjanz Corporal

dial-up, cable, dsl???

3. tomatosld

tomatosld Private E-2

Cable, but I don't think the problem is in the modem or router. Every other computer on the network, both wired and wireless, has no problem connecting to the internet. I've already tried replacing the router (it was still under warranty and faulty hardware was worth ruling out...), but the problem persists.

4. tomatosld

tomatosld Private E-2

Greetings again fellow geeks -

I have news to report: After much trial and error, I have tracked the problem down to a configuration problem in my software firewall. I noticed a bittorrent running in the background stayed connected even after new connections to the internet were being refused. Once I stopped the bittorrent, it would not reconnect. Ah ha!

I haven't completely figured out what I configured wrong, but a shutdown and reboot of the software firewall clears the connection issue without the need for a complete log off/log on. I think it may be time to switch to Zone Alarm (I never really liked this EZ Armor firewall anyway... :p )

What do you geeks use for software firewalls? Any other suggestions? (Or is that a topic for another forum?) :)

5. bubbles

bubbles Private E-2

You don't need a software firewall if you already have a hardware firewall in your router! It's redundant, and will cause more headaches than what it's worth.

6. tomatosld

tomatosld Private E-2

True. But a few of the security blog guys I like still recommend them (Brian Livingston/Windows Secrets, Leo LaPorte/TWiT). I figured better safe than sorry, but this little experience might change my mind. I mean, if someone really wants to hack me, is a little piece of buggy software going to stop them... I don't think so...

Anyway, thanks for all your help! I'm all fixed up for now.

7. tomatosld

tomatosld Private E-2

Actually, the real reason I keep the software firewall around is to keep track of what's going out of my pc. I like to know if a program is trying to "phone home" and I like being able to decide whether or not to let it do so. If I were to get infected with a zombie worm or something, I would know right away because my software firewall would go nuts. The hardware firewall would just block it silently. So, provided it's configured properly, I think the software firewall does still serve a purpose.

That's just my $.02...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds