Buy or Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tourangh, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

I am thinking about getting a new computer. I am thinking about using www.cyberpowerinc.com . I have also thought about building one. This would be my first time and I would like to do it but I am worried about making a mistake and wasting a bunch of money. Also how much money if any would I save if I built a computer instead of using a site like cyberpower?

2. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

You will save a bit of money.... Building it yourself is always nice... Everything is pretty much plug n play... I just put together my FIRST AMD 64, SATA build for a FRIEND and all went smoothly... Its actually fairly easy, i was done in a little over 5 hours.

3. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

About how much will I save on a 1,000$ computer from cyberpower inc. Thats about how much my custom built computer came out too. If I choose to build myself about how much will I save.

4. SojournMystical

SojournMystical Private E-2

Besides of you saving money, you'll also have less of a headache when things go bad. Since you would be the one to build it yourself, you would know how everything is exactly put and configured. You'll be your own engineer. Not just that but if you buy a computer at a computer store, they won't give you the disks with drivers, or of some programs that you have on you computer so you'll end up always having to go back to them. If you build it yourself, you become the owner of every part, driver, and software you put in the structure (tower; desktop frame). In case something would go wrong, you could fix the issue at the computer of your own home.

~SojournMystical

5. jak3y

jak3y Guest

build build build build build build buildAMDbuild build build amd build build build BUILD BUILD amdbuild build build buildAbuildBbuildDbuildBUILD build am build D build

6. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

I would still like to know about how much I would save and also do they make laptop cases. Is it harder to build a laptop?

7. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

As for savings, well that depends. Do you plan to use only the highest quality parts (unlike pre-made 'puters)? I don't really think anyone can give you an exact savings, because that really all depends on you and the parts you use, from the case, RAM, CPU, MB, Vid card, etc. Bascically, YOU determine the amount of money you save building your own machine as opposed to pre-made machines. However, I DO agree with everyone here that building your own machine is ALOT more enjoyable and satisfying. I've built 2 so far, both AMD, and I'll never buy another pre-made machine. As for making a mistake, well the key word here is PATIENCE! Don't be in a hurry and things will undoubtly turn out just fine. IF you do decide to build, just post back here with a list of parts you want to use and someone here would be more than happy to help you. GOOD LUCK!!!

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

As stubby says it depends what kind of computer your going for,choose a pre built computer you like then shop online for the same parts to how much of a saving you can make,when building your own comp you are also the quality control you can choose the absolute best parts for your system for budget,as a pre built computer will often have one or more cheap components thrown in,its how they make thier money.

Have a look at MA's thread at the top for more pre built machines,if you decide to go it alone you dont really have to worry about breaking something when you build it,as everything can be returned either to the retailer or the manufacturer there is so much competition these days they will do anything to keep your custom,OK your putting your mobo in and you slip and rip a few caps off get on the phone to the retailer "I'v just opened my mobo box and there two capacitors missing,I cant believe this I thought the parts were tested before shipping yada yada yada"

9. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

The only thing thats holding me back from building is me screwing somthing up

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

In regards to building a laptop, its not even worth attempting.

11. Rikky

Shit happens and so do returns ;) if the just the thought of it stresses you out maybe buying one is best for now,you can get some great comps for $1000 these days

12. Rikky

Never built one but tomshardware makes it look pretty simple 8th video down you will have to give up an email address :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/site/videos/index.html

13. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

14. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

15. Rikky

concerning the video,the guy owns a BMW Z3 and hes building his own notepad--Cheap bastard :) ,bet that trunk has held a few hotel towels,he he ;)

16. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

What do you guys think about barebones kits

17. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

The purpose of building your own machine, other than the satisfaction you get, is that YOU are in control, YOU pick out the hardware, YOU configure it the way YOU want it, YOU install the software YOU want, and when it screws up, YOU fix it because YOU know what's in it and how it was configured. And, on the other hand, YOU always have "Major Geeks" to help YOU through the rather rough spots. So, now it's YOUR decision as to which way YOU want to go.
    As for barebones kits, well I don't know enough about them to even comment.

18. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

19. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Price is about 1200 all together :(

20. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

I guess i could cut down on video card to save but it dosent seem like I am going to save alot if any by building

21. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

is there any way to make a similar computer for under 1000. Iam thinking about getting a used card from buy and sell section here. omegamerc's card looks best. I could also settle for a worse card since I am not a huge gamer(warcraft, sims are pretty much only games i play) Maybe a cheper psu and smaller hd. Any ideas?

22. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

With today's prices, its tough to see any real savings building your own, unless you go with something like Alienware. However, you get brand name merchandise.

Have you considered going AMD to shave some off the price?

23. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

I would have to pick new case for AMD, I could try again with another case i guess.

24. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

Hey,

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium

when you build, its better b/c you understand wut goes with your Mobo... . since i want 2 Vid cards in the long run. i went with SLI.. " Now i got no clue wut kinda RAM i want.. grrr or case"

in the long run... you would save money and time if you build your PC.. its not hard.. and easy to get help

buy from a store.. and you will always get the run around?... this way you can take charge of it

25. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

when you build it you dont have all those annoying unused programs either. You know the ones that take up half the resources but you cant uninstall or the pc crashes :)building is the best option imho :cool:

26. quirk

quirk Corporal

I would say the best part of building your own computer is that you will build it without a bottleneck, unlike most cheap systems out there. I've seen people buy a P4 512 mb ram computer that was slow because the motherboard's FSB ran at 133 mhz. To make their profit, stores will always find overlooked features to be really cheap on. You even have to look at rpms and access times on hard drives or you'll see performance drops there.

27. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Right now I am thinking about alienware. Their prices are a bit high but I configured a Pc for about 1100. Only problem is it and intel extreme graphics card, would there be a problem if I bought a card and replaced that one?
    same question for buying from cyberpowerinc.com

Btw I am slowly getting less sure about building my own at this time. :(
    Looking at cyberpowerinc mostly but still not 100% sure of what to do. Might end up not getting new pc at all

28. david1

david1 Private E-2

chances are if its intel extreme graphics youll havbe to use pci regular for your gpu the best avaliable is geforce fx 5500 256mb and with agp the best is geforce 6800/ radeon x800 and pci express is geforce 7800/ radeon x850

29. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

....regular pci?

Come on. Check the Alienware site if you are unsure.

Its a PCIe motherboard, and you can get it with a PCIe video card. I don't forsee it being a problem for further upgrading.

30. david1

david1 Private E-2

how do you know some dont have pci e and there wasnt a model supplied

31. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Uh, cause I checked the Alienware site?

32. david1

david1 Private E-2

theres more than one p4 system any way how about we stop hijacking threads to argue with each other

33. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Iam back to building I think lol. I need help though choosing fans(no clue about them). AMD or Pentium and graphics cards. I wanna save money so is cutting down from a ati x800 to x700 a big deal (bothe 256mb)or 6600gt 128mb to a 6600 256mb whats difference. Iam not a very big gamer I am only playing warcraft3 at moment and want to get sims2 and cs. Not very demanding games but maybe in future i will get more demanding ones.

34. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

on video id either go x800 or 6600gt .x700 and x600 are alright but kinda lacking imho. as far as amd or intel lower price factor will be AMD newegg is a decent source for everything you could want

35. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Would I need any wires? As far as I know only thing to get would be rounded wires for the HD

36. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

One more question how big should the case be. And still wondering about fans.

37. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

New specs iam thinking about:
    case:Aspire X-cruise http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144152
    MB: ASUS p5nd2-sli deluxe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131536R ( anything wrong with refurbished? And is sli good to have for future?)

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 531 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116230

PSU: Ultra x-connect http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=876412&CatId=0

Video Card: eVGA Geforce 6800GT 256-P2-N376-AX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130215

Ram: GeIL DDR 2 Series 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144807

HD: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160GB 3.5" IDE Ultra ATA133 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144181

+100$ worth of cd drives and floppy(maybe take floppy out of old computer)

Belkin Rounded cable: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812107303 (is this good to have?)

Do I need a sound card or is one onbaord mobo good enough( I listen to music on my computer but not seriously just as background)
    Once again what kind of fans should I get

Possibly will get rid of 6800gt and get somthing cheaper without sli and get rid of that mobo too.

P.s. sorry if I am asking too many questions lol

38. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Some how this time it comes up to just under 1000 :)
    Only missing sound card and I had added too many fans on other one I think.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds