Best Ram Available

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mo26, Oct 1, 2005.

1. mo26

mo26 Private E-2

my motherboard is a asus a8n-sli premium
    im looking to buy the best memory available and im not a big fan of overclocking....does anyone know which is the best. (do not include price as a factor)

Im looking for 2gb of ram and by ocz since i heard they are the best...thanks for any suggestions!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

yep, memory from the likes of OCZ ( Platinum ) , GIEL ( Ultra ), Corsair ( XMS ), Crucial ( Ballistix ), Mushkin ( Extreme ) any of those and you cannot go wrong imo :)

3. scouse

scouse Corporal

All excellent choices Halo, dam i would love to ahve the cash for a gig of any of those choices.

mo26 the list Halo gave is spot on, your comp wil fly with 2 gigs of your choice from the list with a good processor to go with it.

I use samsung ddr great quality but not as good as above.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

"price is of no concern" Only time I'v said that is when buying an ice cream and I wanted an extra flake have a look here :)

http://gruntville.com/kingofthehill.php

Unless your overclocking theres not much point in spending alot any of the top brands will do, you will want latencies of 2-2-2-5 and a lifetime return policy,any that give you that are fine, buying anything faster than 3200 is throwing your money away :)

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

TBH.... samsung chips are superb as they are a massive maker of memory chips their stuff is reliable, I'm usimg Samsung RDRAM at present in my desktop and they have been superb, so I would whole heartedly recomend Samsung modules.

6. mo26

mo26 Private E-2

thanks guys, ill think ill go with the ocz platinum pc3200 2bg ram, however, when i checked the ocz site, their memory modules which are pc3200 only go up to 1gb, i dont get it?

7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Ya heard right,
    2x1gb to consider:
    - OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Platinum [2x1GB] (TCB3/Other) [2-3-2-5]
    Part number: OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/produc...hannel_platinum
    Not alot of 1GB sticks that support tight timmings avaible

If you are not going to overclock
    -----------------------------------------
    Do not get any Winbond UTT CH-5 based module (eg, OCZ GOLD VX PC3200)
    They require a lot of voltage to do 2-2-2-8 @200Mhz.

Modules with the Winbond UTT BH-5 chips are slightly better (eg, OCZ EL GOLD PC3200) but for the non-overclockers the perfect modules would be ones that contain Samsung TCCD/TCC5 or Micron 5B-G chips. They don’t need a lot of voltage and will run at low timings such as 2-2-2-5 or 2-2-2-6. (eg OCZ EL Platinum REV 2 PC3200 or Crucial BallistiX PC3200).

Actually some of the above may even have Samsung Chips!
    Samsung make's some excellant memory, From CL3 value right up to Kick ass tight timming chips.
    Have a look here Corsair,Kingston,OCZ using Samsung TCCD:
    http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=1510&s=1
    G.Skill with Samsung TCCD here:
    http://www.xtremeresources.com/modu...ns&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=11&page=1

The Patriot mem in my sig has Samsung TCCD chips
    Patriot is avaible at www.newegg.com for good price, the TCCD stuff is the XBLK mem.

8. Fleabus

Fleabus Private First Class

9. mo26

mo26 Private E-2

thanks fo reverything guys, im off to buy the OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Platinum [2x1GB].....oh yeah!!

10. scouse

scouse Corporal

Dude after reading Halos post and now yours it has put a smile on my face. :) Great info by the way..I know who to ask when i am about to upgarde my memory..:)

My memory is PC2700 and i plan to upgrade so you will be hearing from me if thats ok. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds