in need of new memory...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geekedittilitGHz, Oct 1, 2005.

1. geekedittilitGHz

geekedittilitGHz <i>puto cum grano salis</i>

i was told that if you get better memory you can overlock more. So im doing some research and how do I no if my mobo is compatable with ddr2 is it just automatically? or do u have to have a different mobo. also what memory do you reccomend? i am looking at corsair and kingston... so help me out here ;) oo and whats the diff from buffered and unbuffered... and if i get diff memory can you get higher voltage cuz my voltage is all the way up....

2. kjanz

kjanz Corporal

memory has nothing to do with the overclocking of the cpu.
    open the case, look at the memory slots.

if there is only one separator in the slot, its ddr
    if there are 2 separators, its dimm

both brands of memory are great!

if you wind up the voltage too much, the motherboard will go to sleep permantly.

3. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

you are running AMD if your sig is current which means ddr2 is not for you. ddr2 is presently intel only.
    As far as memory having nothing to do with ocing cpu I do believe MOST people oc ram and cpu simultaneously. Why oc cpu if you throttle it by not ocing ram????like tuning up an engine and forgetting the tranny in the garage :) Ram can easily limit how far you oc a system.
    my 2 cents worth:)

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Your MOIBO supports DDR 184pin memory, not DDR2 which has 240 pins
    http://www.ivitex.com/faq1.htm#chart
    Use Unbuffered:
    http://www.ivitex.com/faq1.htm#key def

Memory that uses TCCD or TCC5 chips requires less voltage than some others
    Here's what I have running at 250mhz/500fsb at 2.7volts
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220032

Here's 2x512
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220033

Another tip for best results OCing dont skimp on main hardware such as MOBO/PSU or Memory. there are much better choices for MOBO's avaible.

5. geekedittilitGHz

geekedittilitGHz <i>puto cum grano salis</i>

Is it worth it to get pc 4000 or higher because I am buying a bunch of stuff and want to be able to do multiple things at once... so if it is worth it show me the memory

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

there are 2 MAIN things that will stop you overclocking your cpu or your ram,your cpu will,well stop your cpu overclocking your ram will stop your fsb overclocking its best to first find out what is stopping your overclock,you can do this by

1.dropping your cpu multi down 0.5 and see if you can push your overclock higher
    2.drop your ram devider down to 4/5 and see if you can go higher

basically you will want to push your ram as high as it will go, more expensive ram will let you run it at a ration of 1/1 which is the same speed as your fsb i.e your fsb is at 250mhz your ram will be at 250mhz which will give you more memory bandwidth as opposed to running cheaper ram at say 4/5 of 250= 200 mhz as now you are back down to stock speed

If you want to run multiple apps at once you nee more ram,if you want to run one app as fast as possible you need faster ram with tighter timings such as 2-2-2-5 that will run as fast as you fsb

A good way to find out the speed of memory you need to compliment your board is to find out how far you can push your overclock with your ram devider set at 4/5 if your fsb and cpu run out of steam at 215 mhz theres not much point buying faster ram and there is a good chance it will as it is an ECS board generally not known for overcloking well ;)

just my two bucks :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds