So, I want a new PC.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IcEy-CoLd, Oct 2, 2005.

1. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

This is what i have so Far.

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory - Retail.

Leadtek PX6800GT TDH Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail.

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM.

Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail. "comes with a Floppy 4 Free =). 80% why i want it"

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail
    ____________________________________________________________________________

Now, Hi this is gonna be my frist "new-age" PC that i'm gonna build. I'm not sure on afew things like a power supply, i was thinking 550w? in a 4pin, i think is what i need.. and is coolin going to be a problem? i just hope the Mobo comes with a really new BIOS on it.. so i don't have to flash.... piff lol

anyhow any info would be really helpful on a setup like this.. i hear its popular.. I just hope all the parts get along and work on the frist try. I don't know where eles to find info from asus i been up and down there site and message boards...

2. david1

david1 Private E-2

all you need is a power supply and o/s for the o/s get xp 64bit xp media centre 2005 or wait for next version due next year and for pws get a 24pin power supply with a 6 pin pci express connector with 500W or more

3. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

hmm but only xp is 64bit. 2005MC is 32bit... so i could still run everything in XP pro?...

geez i forgot about the stupid OS..

4. david1

david1 Private E-2

i would get media centre as its $35 more than home 64bit is not worth it at this point

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

6. david1

david1 Private E-2

it has visual styles and if you have a remote it makes it alot better a remote can be fairly cheep

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

All versions of Windows XP have visual styles ;)

8. david1

david1 Private E-2

9. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

honestly, i just got a lil confused, Right now i feel the cheapest XP Pro.. since i am gonna have 1vid card for a lilwhile i don't feel going all 64 is the right thing, when i use SLI then i prob dish out the cash,

so XP Pro... "is SP2 really good?" i never used it.. i stay with SP1 on my notebook.. but when i look to buy XP pro it seems it only comes with SP2? this a fact?

10. david1

david1 Private E-2

well on new egg oem xp pro is 146 home is 96 and media is 117 so home is cheepest again i reccomend media as it is more featured than both sp2 is slower in most cases and sli doesnt require 64 i say media centre all the way
    ps 64 bit is 142

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yes, SP2 is excellent. When you buy XP these days, it is integrated with SP2, as you saw.

As for it being slower....no that is not correct.

12. david1

david1 Private E-2

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'm not going to argue with you anymore on this, as it is hijacking the thread. Having worked for Microsoft for 4 years, I know full well what XP and SP2 are all about.

14. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

well .. i finally put everyone on order but the OS... ... you 2 should chill. everyone will have a diffrent time with there PC.. my laptop cannot take SP2.. but i know it does work.. just buggy.. works great.. or not at all

if you think media C will work better for a gamer , that wants everyone on his PC then i guess i got sum reading to do...

15. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Alot of the problems associated with SP2 are due to a poorly maintained and protected installation of xp,try an RRR on yopur laptop then SP2 may fly ;)

16. david1

david1 Private E-2

xp-pro has features for buisness women/men or people on big networks
    xp media centre has advanced media features and all of xp homes features although all are the same at gameing xp media centre provides more media featuers and tvtuner support and pro has more networking features home is the lowest of them all and since xp media is 17 more i think you should cross home out and choose between media and pro
    here is xp home vs xp pro: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

If you dont mind tradeing xp pros buisness/networking features for media enhancment go for xp media if not get xp pro

17. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

How much did yours come out to?

18. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

a lil under 1200... i actully wanted to buy an O/S so thats wut did the price....

but since i'm gonna make it... if everything works for 2 weeks... i should have a workin PC that i know how to fix for years.. i'm just in-love with my mobo.. w/e you do... build around your Mobo make it so everything works together. and life seems to be easy

"also there is only 1 thing in the back of my head that thinks my system might over-heat.. but with 15 bucks.. you can fix about any OH problem.. fans are cheap.. just make sure you get a 600WPS so everything can be greedy like yourself

... i will say again build.. you will save time and money... you won't have as much stress.. and your not killin babies around the world.... felt i had to add that lol =)

19. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

you said it, i'm going Sli,Dual Core CPU/RaM.. when money is worked out... it is a media pc the way i am gonna set it up... BUT its going to be a simple set up for wut i want it to do.."for now" so till i wanna do a real upgrade. The PC i posted i think i got everything worked out for now.. all that's left is to play lego'sr when the parts get here.

i actully got a 600wpsu, and went with XPpsp2 since i will go 64bit down the road... i'm still not sure about SP2.. i was reading from microsoft and i'm still like.. "well the S~~t better all work"..

thanks for the help.. i'll be around

20. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Your stuff seems good your missing psu and cd drive so thats easily another hundered. Other than that i like your stuff and might build one with that. I would cut down to 1gm ram to save money. did you get parts from new egg?

21. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

i got a 600 W PSU .. put this in newegg PSU ASPIRE|ATX-AS600W-GN 600W RT ... i think it will work well

as for the cd-drive.. i got an older one in my old PC.. till i get in all in 1 cd-rom.. its 48x so spin baby spin...

i just like my parts b/c everything will be upgraded later,my parts will be here at the latest Wed.

Also RAM, is very inportant 2 me... i couldn't dish out 500$ for 2g of dual.. so i went with just 2 gig of RAM i know is good

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds