strange problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by harris24982, Oct 2, 2005.

1. harris24982

harris24982 Private First Class

got something that i dont understand going on hopeing someone on here may be able to give some help.

i recentley upgraded to an 80 gig harddrive its alot better than old 1 but still a couple of errors and slowness now and then

tonight i tryed to get 1 of my old hardrives working as a slave for extra storage had it working for an hour before it packed in
    in that hour i noticed that the new hardrive was running alot better alongside the slave faster smoother no crash or freeze the whole system was better

now the slave has packed in and been removed system is back to crashing after a while and slowing down .

is there a reason why the performance would be better with a slave installed or maybe something not set right on the new hard drive?

2. david1

david1 Private E-2

some drives have single drive and master see what its on

3. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

hi dude you could check a couple of things..
    firstly, the jumpers on the back of the hard drives should be set correctly, identify your master drive and be sure its jumper is in the correct place (it must be or you wouldnt be booting up)
    secondly, i had a similar problem with performance on a friends pc.
    you could check in the system properties under hardware
    goto
    START > CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > HARDWARE (tab) > DEVICE MANAGER > IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS > Primary IDE Chanel (right click and click "properties"
    and click the "advanced settings" tab
    check that the transfer mode is set to "DMA IF AVAILABLE" sometimes windows will knock this back to PIO ONLY which is detrimentally slower, and the reason adding the other HD made things work was it could have set this back to DMA and the new HD to PIO causing the slowness and crashing.
    give it a go, let us know ! :D

4. harris24982

harris24982 Private First Class

forgot to mention ime running it with windows M.E and it an 80gig seagate barracuda

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds