CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alk, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Alk

Alk Private E-2

Alright, I'm afraid I was getting a little too big for my britches. I'm running a PC with a Pentium 4 1.6 GHz. the number on the mother board was Intel D845PT. In a neverending quest to get my outdated PC to run just a little better I decide to upgrade the BIOS. I found the bios on the Intel site, downloaded it and ran the file. Now whenever I boot my PC, it beeps and gives an error.

CMOS/GPNV
    Checksum Bad

Then it tells me to hit F1 for setup. I looked around in there but couldn't find anything that looked like it would help. I'm pretty much lost now and I'm contacting you guys using my 4 yr. old son's 500 MHz machine. :D Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Alk

Alk Private E-2

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm running XP Pro.

3. Alk

Alk Private E-2

It says that Dubya has replied to my thread. Am I the only one that can't see his post?

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

6. Alk

Alk Private E-2

I appreciate the help but I opened that link and it didn't take me long to see that I'm way over my head here. I don't even know what it is that I need to check.

7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Maybe not.
    Just enter setup, press F1 when booting.
    Once your in setup, which is your BIOS press F10 (to save and Exit) you may get message box that says something like do you want to save & exit, do so.

Doing this should also solve your problem:
    Lot's of peoples are intimidated by BIOS settings, Take a look at the BIOS guide I posted, most all of your setting are listed within, just review each one set as recommended, then once your done in BIOS press the F10 key to save & exit, within your BIO may also be help key as well as other prompts.

8. Alk

Alk Private E-2

Well, I apologize, but I can't make heads or tails of that stuff. I tried restoring the default settings like you suggested and that made no difference. I gave up after that. Is there a way for me to restore my bios to where it was before I tried installing that update?

9. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

You do understand the Link for the fix is simply to enter setup/Bios then save & exit, your not really changing anything, Did you do this??
    Also want to add i dont know for sure this will fix your problem, the second option, Reviewing Bios setting's cant hurt anything the guide makes it easy to understand.
    The third option is reflash Bios to the version you had before, but you most likely will need to make some changes in BIOS cause Flashing returns the MOBO to Default settimgs.

When you flash your BIOS this returns your MOBO to it's default settings, your previous settings may or may not have been default.
    It's quite possible your previous BIOS settings were default settings.

Another Option may be to flash bios back to the original or what was.
    I must Caution you there are risks when flashing BIOS, if not done correctly you can render your PC useless.

10. Alk

Alk Private E-2

Yeah, I understood the part about not changing anything. I tried that before I found this site and it didn't help any. As far as I can tell, all the setting seem to be just like that site recommends too. What all is involved in flashing the bios?

11. Alk

Alk Private E-2

Alright, I've put alot of hours into this thing and still no luck. I managed to find out how to restore my bios. It says to remove the bios jumper on the board, insert a floppy with the bios flash on it and power up. The only problem is, I haven't been able to find the file that I'm looking for. Could anyone please help me out here. All the files I find are .exe files that you have to use while windows is booted which I can't do. Here's my motherboard info again. Intel D845PT.

12. Alk

Alk Private E-2

Well, it looks like this is a case closed. I can get a refurb mobo on ebay shipped for $40. No sense in me pulling out any more hair over this screw up. Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds