CPU and MOBO problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by big_dave, Oct 2, 2005.

1. big_dave

big_dave Private E-2

Ok i have a p4 2.4 w/ 400 fsb, on a computer that i built, the motherboard is a intel D865GLC. I also have a dell dimension 3000 that i bought, it has a p4 3.0 w/ 800fsb.......the processors where both 478 socket so i tried swapping them the 2.4 works great in the dell but the 3.0 didnt even boot with my other computer. Maybe it has something to do with the chipsets?.....i dunno because i try to buy a 3.0 off newegg and it doesnt even list any chipsets. This is all kinda hard to explain but does anyone know what is goin on......BTW i switched the processors back to the original comp......and they both worked fine ................... ?????????????????????????????

2. big_dave

big_dave Private E-2

Anyone have any clue what i might be doing wrong?

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Is this your MOBO?
    http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d865glc/index.htm
    If so it does support both of your CPU's
    You said the system wouldnt boot, did it power up? can you enter BIOS?

In the link if you click on Processor's it will provide info on each & includes supported Chipset info & more.

4. big_dave

big_dave Private E-2

yes that is my motherboard, the system powered up, i could hear the power supply running, and leds were turned on, on the mother board, second time i took the processor out it even looked like the thermal grease had started to heat up, but no the system woud not boot with the 3.0

5. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

Is it a preescott core? if so if you look under supported chips bios has to be updated to at least p13 for the board to see the chip.

6. david1

david1 Private E-2

update bios with the 2.4 in then swap

7. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

yes update the bios with the 2.4 in then swap let me know what happens:)
    P.S. Make sure its p13 bios or higher

8. david1

david1 Private E-2

please dont add stuff that was alredey said thanks

9. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

thought you were the dave that started the post my bad :rolleyes:

10. big_dave

big_dave Private E-2

hey guys....thanks for the replies, i really appreciate it :D. I have already updated my bios to p24, but it looks like you all made the same mistake i did when looking at the supported procs, the board was revised, http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/lc/lc_proc.htm, look to the far left side(OR down at the bottom of page), and it tells which board versions should work with the procs., unfortunately mine wasnt even listed on there, so looks like i need a new motherboard. Intel should make the revisions one of the first things you see on that site. Thanks everyone for the replies and your help! :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds