Need help slaving a hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gemini6912, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Gemini6912

Gemini6912 Private E-2

I have a hard drive that we been having major problems with so instead of fooling around with it anymore we are going to reformat it...but before I do that I need to get some very important information off of it.. so I am going to slave it to my hard drive .....Heres the problem the hard drive is a Maxtor D740X-6L 3.5 series....it has 4 sets of pins there was a white jumper on the first set of pins the 2 middle sets had nothing and the 4th had a black jumper ...I put the black jumper on the 3rd set of pins and removed the white jumper.....when i hooked it up to my computer it gave me an error message of Disk Boot Failure..insert system disk and press enter, I didn't try that I just took the hard drive out and came here....I don't know if this makes a diference but the cable that is hooked up to my hard drive is connected to the end of the cable not the middle and I hooked up the slave drive to the middle is that right? This whole thing is becoming a major hassle and by doing this I thought I could get rid of the headache....it figuresit wouldn't go right....Thank you for your time...

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

What do you have as a master drive? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but you've made no indication that you have another bootable drive setup as master.

Anyway, yes, the slave drive should be on the connector that's closer to the motherboard. Jumper settings should be shown in a diagram on the hard drive. There's two ways you can attempt. Set it as slave and put it on that connector, or set it to select by cable and put it on that connector.

Once you've done that, check in your BIOS to see how the hard drives are being detected.

3. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

I found the Maxtor guide for the hard drive you are trying to get data off of. It's located here . Page 23 of that PDF shows that the slave setting would be 1 jumper on the second set of pins. Or if your boot drive is set for cable select, if you put this second drive on the slave channel, put 1 jumper on the 3rd set of pins.
    NOTE: You may need to keep the jumper on the 1st set of pins, as it may use it to notify the computer of the real size of the drive.

4. Gemini6912

Gemini6912 Private E-2

So the connector should be like this motherboard--------master-------slave
    bad pic but do you get what I mean.....if thats the case mine is set up
    motherboard------empty------master(myhard drive)
    My hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda ATAIV 40 gig model #ST340016A...and I am running windows 98 se on it.........the slave hard drive does have a little pic on it but the pic only shows 3 sets of pins and there are 4...so if I go from the right the last one states master and to its left slave, and to its left cable select...so if going from right to left I do have it on the slave set of pins...
    In the BIOS both are set to auto....
    There are no stupid questions when it comes to me because I really don't have much of a clue when it comes to the hardwear part of a computer, the only thing i have done on the inside of the computer was put in some memory and a nic card.....

5. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

No... The Master must go on the end furthest from the mother board. Slave will go on the connector between them. the info Mada_Milty and noahawk should get you there. Good Luck

6. Gemini6912

Gemini6912 Private E-2

ok adding some info....so according to jerkyking my cable is correct....as for noahawk when i set the hard drive to slave I get the Disk Boot failure....when I leave the white jumper on the first set of pins its tring to boot from the slave....my hard drive is set to master...so I feel majorly stupid here what am I doing wrong this is supposed to realtivly simple but apperantly not for me...........And thank you for your help so far it is truly appreciated....

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Make sure your Seagate Barracuda is set to master, is on the connector furthest from the motherboard, and has all file files neccessary for a normal boot.

Now, your maxtor should be easier than it seems like it has been. You say that there's 4 sets of pins, but is one "set" really two pins? I've seen maxtor HDDs where they have an extra pin to use as a "key" If you could make a diagram like the one on the hard drive label, and another like the pinout, that might give us a better idea.

= = =
    M CS S

something along those lines might help. Or some purty pik-a-churrs might be even better.

8. Gemini6912

Gemini6912 Private E-2

My Seagate is set to master I checked..As far as a normal boot it boots just fine without the slave attached so I assume it has the necessary files, but since I do not know what the necessary files are or where to find them who knows.
    The Maxtor when I am looking at the pins looks like this
    top of hard drive(with label)
    [cable connection][::::][power connection]
    bottom of hard drive
    The diagram on the back of the Maxtor, well i scanned a pic of it but it wont let me put it in here so heres the best I can do
    PK CS DS KEY
    : : l : . cable select for master/slave factory default
    : l : : . slave jumper parking position
    : : : l . master

Thank you very much for your help so far..anything eles you need please let me know...thanx

9. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

If your SeaGate is set to Master (not master/cable select), then just jumper your Maxtor like this...

10. Gemini6912

Gemini6912 Private E-2

Did that and thats when I get the Disk Boot Failure

11. stezieb

stezieb Private E-2

this might sound very stupid but do you have an OS on the hard drive you are now using as the master.........

12. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Yes he does, he's attempting to recover the data.

13. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Try these:

: : : | . This should be the slave setting. If this is on the connector closer to the motherboard, it should work.

If not, try : : | : . This will set the drive in cable select mode, and if it is on the connector closer to the motherboard, it should be detected as slave.

Post back if that doesn't work out.

14. stezieb

stezieb Private E-2

i dont think you understand the hard drive that is screwed up needs to be the slave what OS is on the other hard dive that now has to be primary.....

15. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I don't think you understand. He has ANOTHER bootable hard drive that he is setting as master (the seagate) and he is setting the original (maxtor) as slave, and if you had read the thread you would know that, because its already been asked.

Sorry if that sounded harsh; I didn't mean it to be, but thing is: we're way ahead of you, my friend.

16. Gemini6912

Gemini6912 Private E-2

ok this is what I tried..just for the sake of curiosity I tried all 4 sets of pins..when the jumpers are set to slave or cable select I get the Disk Boot Failure...when I set the jumpers to the master setting it did detect the Maxtor as the master and went to the safe mode which by the way is the reason for all of this cannot get the Maxtor out of safe mode.....So I tried another approach I put the Maxtor into its original tower and booted from the start up disk with cd support and tried to reinstall windows98.during the course of reinstalling right after it made a start up disk and was about to start loading window I get this error message { Generic Installer Error... Message SU99405...Updatelnis = processing error... (0X195) } and when I clicked on ok it stopped and went back to dos mode. And just so everyone is on the right page the seagate is in the computer I am using right now, its the only working computer here.....Oh and btw I'm a she LOL......again thank you for your time on this, don't know about you but it's giving me a headache

17. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yes, this is peculiar for sure. Could we try setting it up as slave, and going into BIOS, and specify what's what (ie make sure maxtor is detected as slave and seagate as master) and see if that works?

If that fails, would it be at all possible to set it up as master, and the seagate as slave, move all your pertinent data to the seagate, and perform a format of the maxtor?

And uhh, sorry 'bout the mistaken gender thing...

18. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

We may also need to keep this in mind as well.

19. stezieb

stezieb Private E-2

what OS is on the maxtor i had the same problem fixed easily tell me what the OS is an i can give you a solution :mad:

20. quirk

quirk Corporal

it's pretty hard to install an OS on a disk drive that you can't get your system to recognize. It doesn't sound like she scavenged the disk, so she probably just has a lot of free space, not an os. Your attempt at helping is welcome and appreciated, but I think mada milty has this one covered.

21. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Heh, I appreciate the kind words Quirk, but it really up to the user to decide who to listen to. And there is already an OS on the drive, and from what Gemini6912 has said, it does seem to boot, but is problematic.

stezieb does have a point. His/her experience is as valid as any others. It may not hurt to know what the OS is, and I don't think theres any harm in asking.

Right now, I think that noahawk has given the best advice here: replace the white jumper that was removed. There's most likely a reason why it was there, and why it hasn't been working since it was removed.

22. quirk

quirk Corporal

whoops and sorry stezieb, i thought the windows was on the seagate......

23. Gemini6912

Gemini6912 Private E-2

windows 98se is on both

24. Gemini6912

Gemini6912 Private E-2

Thank you so very much for all of your help
    I did what you said and made the Maxtor the master ansd the Seagate the Slave...It Worked..I got all the info off the Maxtor and reformatted and reloaded Windows 98 so far so good all I need to do now is reload all the info and go from there...All of you have been a tremendous help..and I'm glad its almost over..Thank You again :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds