Win98 and WinXP conflicts; they don't talk on the network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WanderingCanadian, Oct 3, 2005.

1. WanderingCanadian

WanderingCanadian Private E-2

I just got another computer from my girlfriend's parents. Very obsolete, but it was free, so I can't complain. I can put the exact specs on here later, but right now I don't know much except that it's a pentium II.

Anyway, I'm running Win98 on it, as that's about all it can run. Can't find Win2000 and it won't run XP. Therein lies the problem. The internet at my place is being run though a hub, not a router, and there seems to be a conflict between XP and 98, and they are not talking to eachother. Is there a way that I can get the XP based network to recognize my 98 computer so I can get internet? The internet is Shaw cable, if that helps in any way. Thanks.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

This should be simple. If you run the network setup wizard on XP (found in My Network Places) you should be able to set it as the ICS host. Then, you want to have it generate a network setup disk for your 98 machine. There really shouldn't be any conflicts. I've done this myself.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Hub is Not Good enough to Share Internet but should not be a problem to share files and printers between few computers.

Ethernet is universal any computer with Ethernet (Windows all version, Apple. Linux) configured correctly can exchange files.

Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network Settings, and Sharing.

Link to: Windows Network - Installing & Sharing.

:cool:

4. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

A hub is fine for sharing internet. Just do what Mada_milty said and it should work. cat5e been spoiled with a router for too long and has forgotten you can setup windows to share its connection without the need for a router. Although doing it with a hub like this means that the windows XP machine must be up and running for the 98 machien to connect to the internet.

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Spoiled by $7.99? ;)

Saving $7.99 results in "Quirky" solution, not having NAT Firewall, No flexible DHCP, No choices of IP ranges, Not being capable to keep the connetion On all the time. Bad PPPOE software in case of DSL, and more.

Wireless Cable/DSL Router $7.99 after rebate (and it is a good Router from a Brand name).

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=183725

:cool:

6. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Hey, I use a router too. I think there worth the money. All I was saying is it's possible to do without one.

7. WanderingCanadian

Ok, I'll try your idea. My Uncle, a computer engineer, recommended the same basic thing too. And I would be using a router if it were my choice, but unfortunately my roomie is the one who makes the rules. Blargh.

8. WanderingCanadian

I was wrong about something. I thought that the hub was running winXP, but apparently it's a Linux hub. Suggestions? I'm still running 98.

9. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Make sure that both Win98 and WinXP are using "NetBIOS via TCP/IP". It should be on the WINS tab of Advanced TCP/IP properties in WinXP, and it is on the NetBIOS tab of TCP/IP properties in Win98.

WinXP no longer uses NetBEUI, so they need to be speaking the same protocol to talk to each other. By default, WinXP has this setting off.

Next, make sure both the Win98 PC and the WinXP system have file sharing enabled. Try using the "Client for MS Networks" on the Win98 PC instead of "Windows Logon".

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds