CMOS Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by techiegirl2, Oct 3, 2005.

1. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

Hello:

Here are my system specs:

AMD K7- 600 MHZ Processor
    256MB Ram
    Win ME o/s
    12 GB HD
    5 year old system that is well taken care of.....

I came home after work, booted up my computer and received the following message: :rolleyes:

"CMOS Memory Size wrong. Press F1 to run setup. Press F2 to load default values and continue."

As well, on the tower there is no green light indicator beside the power button.

I am thinking that I need a new battery, what do you guys think?????????
    Or is there something else I should know about or check?
    Or something is respect to changing the battery?

Thanks

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

I agree the batttery is probably bad. THe system is 5 years old after all, and average battery lifespan is 3-5 years.

3. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

Thanks for confirming that...Also is battery replacement costly? Difficult? Does this mean a new computer or simply a new battery?

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Most systems use the CR2032 or similar battery. They aren't that expensive, $8 for 2 batteries if I remember correctly.

5. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

Appreciate the quick reply. Should I shut my system down or leave it running?

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

As long as the system is running you will be OK. If you shut it down you may not get back into it, until you replace your battery.

In the meantime open your case and take a look at the battery to figure out what one you actually need.

7. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

Thanks I will do that. Here is something else that is odd...Normally I have a Windows sign in screen and yesterday it was asking for a Network password. I went in a fixed that...it was just strange that it was displaying like that.

For now, the computer is running good with no errors but I will take a look at the battery and work on getting it replaced. In the meanwhile, I have done a complete backup ASAP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds