they want to drop my line speed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by petemate, Oct 4, 2005.

1. petemate

petemate Private First Class

hi people. I need a little help. I've been having some trouble with my 8meg dsl line from bulldog broadband. Basically, the downloads can be a bit sluggish, with p2p never really going past 300k, and averaging on around a hundred. When it was first installed, I could get speeds of around 700-800k quite a lot so I raised this with bulldog. The only solution they could give was to sync my line at 4 meg (i was having none of it!). Everything else they suggested failed. My line stats:

Upstream Rate (Kbps) 576
    Downstream Rate (Kbps) 7392
    US Margin 21
    DS Margin 7
    Modulation MMODE
    LOS Errors 0
    DS Line Attenuation 43
    US Line Attenuation 46

Can anyone suggest another way to sort this, because i know the line can perform well.

Thanks

2. mrfusion70

mrfusion70 Private E-2

It could be as simple as there are more people using the system that your being fed out of and there is not enough bandwidth to give you the speeds that you are used to having! A speedtest will tell you your peak speeds at that moment of the test and not really give you a good idea of your speeds during a long duration of time, like during p2p sharing!
    Also check you pings with a tracert to see if there are any problems with the flow of data before it leaves your providers network!
    Hope this helps!
    JJ

3. bubbles

bubbles Private E-2

If you're 100% sure it's your line, there's usually not a lot you can do in these situations. BT will change things with how your phone is routed, or the DSLAMs, etc. *If I remember correctly, Bulldog uses a BT line*. Have you had BT test your line to see if it's still capable of using the full 8MB? There's a good chance that it's not. If the carrier of the line isn't BT, get whoever the carrier is to check it. So before you continue to complain to your ISP, check things like this out. The longer the phone route to the CO, the lower the speed your phone line will be capable of getting through broadband. Also keep in mind that rain effects the quality of the phone lines, thus lowering the quality of the broadband connection.

Also, check with Bulldog to see what the best MRU/MTU settings to use would be, and configure these in your modem, or maybe even your router. It may also be your modem that's making everything sluggish. Bring it to a friends place who has DSL broadband and see if preforms well. If you have a router in place, connect directly to the PC with the modem and see if you experience the same issue. Make sure that the phone line between the jack and the modem is as short as possible.
    Have you ever considered that it may be your PC? Check for spyware, etc. Not to mention, you can only download as fast as the other person can upload.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Oh, you SO sound like a former ISP help desk technician. ;)

And, IIRC, the UK does not have Bell Telephone service, if that's what you mean by BT. I'm sure petemate will correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

BT = British Telecom.

6. petemate

petemate Private First Class

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. netstat shows no spyware connecting to the net. The engineer on the phone commented on my low ds margin which should be 10-12 decibels, but i get about 7-10. I asked if he could manually raise this, but he said it wasn't recommended. I currently use an optimizer to set mtu/mru levels, but i do have a recommended value i can try. what is everyone's view on the ds margin/attenuation issue? :confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds