5900xt vs 6200

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mandos, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Mandos

Mandos Private E-2

Summary: My older MSI FX5900xt is faster than the Chaintech 6200 I just bought, and the 6200's core clock can't be O'Ced, just the memory.

I had an MSI 5900xt w/ 128 MB VRAM in my sony Viao system, and it scored a pretty lame 987 in 3d Mark 05. Compare URL

I recently bought a Chaintech 6200 w/ 286 MB VRAM hoping for improvement (particularly playing EQ2).* That card did even crappier! - 974 on 3d mark '05. I used the coolbits tweak to try and OC the card, and I found that while I could go from 400 mHz to 505 mHz on the core memory, I couldn't fiddle at all with the core clock at 350 mHz - changing even a tiny bit tested out fine, but when it was applied my comp would lock up. Is that possibly because my PS is varely able to support the 350 mHz core speed, and even a tiny increase is too much of a power drain?

I went back to the FX5900XT and have it "optimally" OC'ed to 406 core and 700 memory.

Any suggestions here? Why did the 6200 with more memory, also DDR, do so crappy (I think memory size applies to loading textures and not rendering, but I thought it would help some) compared to the 5900xt? Anything obvious I am missing to be able to OC the 6200? My goal is to get better grpahics performance in DX 9 games (especially EQ2) without having to build a new computer.

* I can't go up any higher because the PS on the Viao is 285 W. I was surpised I could get the FX6200 card to post.

2. theven 4

theven 4 Private First Class

its just that the 6200 sucks and the 5900xt kicks ass (then again i just think it's better cause i hava a 5900xt) but it could be it doesn't get enough power and it underclocks. (i have my card Oce'd to 473 core and 769 memory)

3. Mandos

Mandos Private E-2

Thaks for answering theven. If I understand you correctly, your first comment is a jest, and you think that with low power, I may be able to post, but the card may be operating at a lower clock cycle than normal?

4. theven 4

theven 4 Private First Class

I couldn't have said it better myself. you say you have the core clock of you're 6200 at 350 mhz and the memory at 505 mhz while the normal clock of a 5900 xt is 390 mhz and 700 mhz memory. there you can see how underpowered you're card is.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds