How do I add RAM in DELL system without getting Ripped off by their double price?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mike2op, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mike2op

mike2op Private First Class

Hi,

I have DELL Dimension P4, 2.6 GHz HT system with 512 MB Dual Channel PC 3200 ( 400 Mhz ) RAM.

That RAM's Brand Name is Elpida & is made in Singapore.

I would like to add extra 512 MB RAM but DELL wants twice as much money for their RAM compared to what is available in market.

I have following questions.

(1) Where I live there are only 2 Brands available, namely Kingston & Hynix. Which is better?

(2) I don't understand what PC 3200 & Dual channel means.

There is no exchange & no moneyback so I have to be certain what I am ordering.

(3) So when I order it what Exact Specifications should I give to the shop?

(4) How do I know if other Brands will be compatible with current brand in my PC ?

(5) There are 2 empty slots. Does Dual channel means that I need 2 modules of equal size in MB?

(6) One of my friend has 256 MB 400 MHz module of Hynix. Can I put that in just to see if it works or would it be dangerous to do so?

I would appreciate any help.

Thank You much.
    Mike

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

you can put the hynix in and test its compatability with your ram. if it works then i'd get 512 meg of hynix if not you may have to chance kingston being compatible. as far as dual channel the board runs paired sticks of ram(same type and size) youve got 2x256 right now id get another 2x256 just tell the people you order from that you want pc3200 dual channel ram 2 x 256

3. david1

david1 Private E-2

tell me your computer model and i can help with some EXACT compatibility

4. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Mike. I buy my RAM from Crucial.com. On thier site they will prompt you to enter mfg'er, and model # and tell you what ram you need. They are the cheapest I have found. Hope this helps.

Jack

5. david1

david1 Private E-2

thats where i was gonna look if he told me his model #

6. mike2op

mike2op Private First Class

david,

It is DELL Dimension 8300.

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds