obtaining the BIOS from an exisitng machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pra3tor1an, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Pra3tor1an

Pra3tor1an Private E-2

OK, I have kind of a wierd problem...I got a Sharp Actius laptop for free, but the BIOS was misflashed. Luckily, it works and I was able to put XP on it without any problems. The only drawback is that the keyboard does not work. I am able to use a remote desktop tool to access it and thereby use the keyboard functions normally. However, I would like to reflash the BIOS so that the keyboard works again. Sharp support has refused to give me the BIOS file, and it is not available on the Web for download, at least as far as I have searched. Sharp wants me to send it in to get the BIOS reflashed. I would rather not do this. I have obtained access to another machine (Actius) just like this one. Is there a way to dump the BIOS off the working machine and install it on the machine with the malfunctoning keyboard? The BIOS I need is Phoenix 1.03U. Thanks in advance.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

That's awfully crappy of sharp, but I guess that's their perogative. I would try to research your motherboard, and see if you can get BIOS updates from the manufacturer (hopefully sharp outsourced), and after looking on the Phoenix website, this seems to be the course of action.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Would EVEREST help to obtain more detailed info? Worth a try?
    Everest Home Edition. www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Bazza
    ===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds