Updated from W98 to XP Home, No Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Goodyab, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Goodyab

Goodyab Private E-2

Hi all,
    I'm as dumb as a sack full of hammers when it comes to this stuff and I still cant believe I went from a fine fully functional W98 running computer with all systems go, then I try to upgrade by myself and now i have no sound.
    Ive tried to reinstall my sound drivers and my machine will play a CD but i have no sound when I surf the net and no sound when the machine starts up or shuts down.
    Can anyone slowwwwwwwly talk me through this mild problem.
    All the best
    Goody

2. TheKolkster

TheKolkster Private E-2

Chances are you sound card drivers aren't compatible with WinXP. Do you have an actual sound card or onboard audio? Try this,

Right click My computer--->Properties--->Click on the Hardware Tab----->Device Manager

Bring down the sound, video and game controllers menu and see if your sound card is listed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds