Computer needs replacing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by techiegirl2, Oct 5, 2005.

1. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

Hello everyone:

In one of my previous threads, I discussed the fact that I think my battery needs replacing. Certain things were happening with no power light indicator on (computer is still runnning) and several strange incidents including yesterday:

1. Computer restarted and only half of a IE message displays
    2. Freezing more than usual
    3. In backing up my system, it would not display the C: drive

I am wondering if my computer needs replacing?

It is 5 years old and has been well taken care of...But to safeguard I have done a major backup: my documents, my address book, favorites, email messages and will make a list of all programs I run and ensure I have all the CD's for each.

The budget doesn't call for a new system yet, but if I have to ...Yikes.

Any suggestions, thoughts, etc???

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Before getting that far ahead, I would try replacing the battery. You'd be surprised what kind of errors that can be produced by a bad CMOS battery.

Backing up your system was a good idea. You could perform a format and re-installation if it comes to that. But, the battery would be a good starting point.

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

what do you mean by "only half of a IE message displays"?

You might try updating your BIOS.

4. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

Yesterday when a page dispalyed in IE, it showed only half of the information.

5. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

My computer guy is suggesting to bring the tower in and upgrade to Win XP. What do you guys think? My system specs: 256 MB, AMD K-7 600 MHZ, 12.2 GB, Win ME o/s.

Thanks,

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

IMHO, you should try the simple things before doing anything major. This will save you any unneccessary expenses. (you did mention a new computer wasn't in the budget)

I've found the exact steps to troubleshoot as outlined by the Enhanced A+ Troubleshooting Guide when the system is "generally unstable" as you seem to be describing it as.

1. Troubleshoot the electrical system. This constitutes checking the PSU w/ a multimeter. If you need the steps to do this, just PM me.
    2. Verify that the CPU fan is running and that the system is not overheating. (apparently speedfan is a good tool for this, and IIRC you can download it here)
    3. Verify CMOS settings. A low battery could cause correct CMOS settings to be lost.
    4. Backup CMOS settings and restore them to default.
    5. Check that power connections are secure
    6. Check that the CPU is seated securely and that the fan is attached firmly. (I recommend Arctic Silver 5, if you don't already have thermal paste on the CPU)

There are more steps to follow, but they are highly technical and/or expensive. If these don't solve the problem, post back. ~Pyrate~'s suggestion was a good one as well. That would be a good step to try.

If none of these steps I've found can help (and remember there's more than I've posted here) a format and re-install of the HDD/OS could be beneficial, especially considering that you've done a backup.

7. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

How to you upgrade your BIOS?

8. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

If I could PM you that would assist, as this would be a learning experience for me, but I am willing to try.

9. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

"upgrade to Win XP"

IMO, upgrading the OS won't cure your problem and most likely give you more problems. Unless you do a fresh install.

"How to you upgrade your BIOS?"

I don't know your motherboards name so I could only tell you to go to their website, download the latest BIOS and follow the instructions there. Although, if I knew your motherboards name I'd probably just elaborate on that:p Sometimes it's easy and they give an automagical installer but on older boards you may have to create a bootable floppy and update via the command line, and you can render your system unusable if you're not careful.

10. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

With your system specs, you would be far better off using Windows 98SE.

Windows ME is hopeless, and your computer isn't really powerful enough to take advantage of XP, regardless of what the "computer guy" told you.

Even if you fixed everything, you would still have Windows ME. Get rid of it.

98SE can be purchased for next to nothing these days.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds