Help getting info off standed HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Publius, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Publius

Publius Sergeant

I have a computer here with a dead graphics card. It is an E-machines 1.1GHz Celeron, 128M, 3D Direct Intel AGP graphics. The stranded HD is a Seagate 20GB Model ST320410A with the jumpers set to "enable cable select".

My question is: Is it safe to plug this in on the second position on the cable of my running computer to extract some files I need? Also, when I plug it in, should I leave both jumper sets on cable select, or set the booting drive in the working computer to master with the second set to slave? (I suspect it is cable select on both, but just want to make sure.)

The running box is a Dell P4 2.8GHz, 512Mb, onboard Intel graphics card.

Both HD's have XP SP2 installed, but I will be booting from the main obviously. Will I be able to run programs that were previously installed on the old HD with it in the second postion without booting from that HD?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. DSorcerer

DSorcerer Private E-2

if both hd have xp on them the safest way to do it is make on master and one slave cable select may not work right if both drives have an os on them

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

That should be fine. If it doesn't work, its fairly simple to try them with master/slave jumper configuration, too! Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds