Is "VIAAGP1.SYS" a needed file?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jig74, Oct 5, 2005.

1. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

I did a full reinstall of XP Home last night, and just a few minutes into the install, it said that it needed this file, which it says should have been located on my motherboard "disk" and to insert it into the A: drive. The only "disk" that I have for my motherboard is a CD, and there is no such file on it.

It allowed me to skip over the file and everything else seemed to install ok, but now, I am no longer able to access my NVIDIA console, and my scrolling seems to be all screwed up :rolleyes:

Do you think that this is a result of not having the accelerated graphics port file, or is it something entirely different?

board is an ECS PM800-M2

Thanks for any help.

Joshua

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Download the VIA 4 in 1 drivers. You should be able to find it here ;)

3. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

Thanks for the link :)

I was able to install the drivers ok and I also reinstalled the drivers for my graphics card...but I still cannot figure out the scrolling problem. When I scroll, the screen sort of moves in a wave.

Do I need to adjust a refresh rate somewhere? I've tried turning the auto scrolling and smooth scrolling options on and off, but it doesn't change anything. :(

Joshua

4. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Try right clicking anywhere on the desktop. Then click Properties>Settings>Advanced>Adapter will give you the refresh rates you can use. Try optimal in the first instance. :)

5. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

I went ahead and changed settings to 1024x768 16bit and I do notice a difference when scrolling. I wonder why it now works better at 16bit...I had always had resolution set at 32bit before the reinstall :rolleyes:

Here is a screenshot of the steps I took. Was this correct?

[​IMG]

Joshua

6. scouse

scouse Corporal

Well it sounds like a graphic driver issue..I get what you describe if i do not have decent graphic drivers (Nvidia)

7. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

Well, I just downloaded the 78.01 win2k/xp drivers from the NVIDIA site, but when running the startup.exe file, I get an error message saying that NVIDIA could not find any drivers compatible with the hardware on my PC :(

Also, when I check my list of hardware on my PC, there is no reference to the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 card anywhere. :rolleyes:

Joshua

8. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Download Everest from here or Belarc Advisor from here and see what sort of graphics card they reckon you have. :)

Then post back. ;)

9. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Because you don't have the correct graphic card drivers installed.

Your screenshot shows that it's just using the generic Windows one.

10. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

Thanks for the Everest program! :D It looks like it could be a pretty cool thing to have (once I understand how to read everything). :confused:

Here are a few screen shots that I took from the results, along with the error message that I got when trying to install the driver packages from the NVIDIA site (package 78.01, that seems to be the newest update, as well as 71.89, which are some older drivers).

I was not sure if the last pic was relevant, but it advised me that my video BIOS was out of date. I've already downloaded and ran the BIOS Agent program and submitted the info to see about an update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Insomniac

Forget about video bios messages, just ignore them.

As fas as the nVidia installation error, go into your Bios (System bios), and disable the onboard video and enable the AGP card, then reboot and install the nVidia drivers.

12. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

I've never messed with the BIOS (afraid of fubaring something) ;) How do I access the BIOS? Through msconfig?

Also, when it comes to reinstalling the drivers, do I need to first install the "origional drivers" for the card before installing new, updated drivers?

Thank you

Joshua

13. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

Ref last post, I did a forum search here and think I can figure it out...looks like I get into it at the boot up. Thanks, I'll see what happens. :D

Joshua

14. Insomniac

Go Start, run and type in devmgmt.msc then click OK.

Find your onboard video and uninstall it, then you need to enter the Bios.

Depending on your computer, you have to repeatedly tap a certain key as the computer is booting, in order to access the Bios.

This varies, but F1, esc, and delete are common, however, it will tell you in white writing at the bottom of the screen "press * to enter setup" or whatever.

Repeatedly tap the key it tells you to as it's booting.

If it doesn't go into the Bios, you weren't fast enough, or it's not the correct key.

Once in there, look for the Onboard Video setting and disable it, then enable the AGP setting.

It's fairly straight forward, but don't play around with anything else.

Select F10 to exit and save. (It will tell you the key at the bottom of screen)

Reboot to desktop, then install the nVidia drivers and it will work.

It wasn't registering before because you have the AGP slot, which is where your FX5200 card is, disabled.

15. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

Just a quick note before I run the devmgmt...I just got into the BIOS a minute ago, and found a line that says "INIT DISPLAY FIRST", I entered into that, and saw that there are 2 options 1) pci slot and 2) AGP...the pci slot was selected. Should I change that to AGP?

Thanks

Joshua

16. Insomniac

Set it to AGP, but most Bios's will autodetect anyway.

If you don't set it, it will just take a bit longer, but yes, set to AGP.

17. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

Ok, I've changed it over to AGP in the BIOS. Now I have the devmgmt window open...would the onboard video be listed under "system devices" or somewhere else?

Joshua

18. Insomniac

Under "Display Adapters".

Anyway, I'm going to play Far Cry, if you get stuck, just post and someone will help you.

19. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

OK, thanks a lot and have fun :D

20. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

Well, I'm back :eek: ...I have no Display Adapters line on my list, here is a screenshot...

[​IMG]

21. Insomniac

If it's not there, then skip that step.

Go into the Bios, make sure AGP is enabled and onboard is disabled, (assuming your video card is installed) reboot and install the drivers.

22. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

Ok, thanks, I'll try it again. My card should still be installed ok, I had just tried to reinstall xp the other day, and it's been screwed up ever since. :rolleyes:

Joshua

23. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

No luck, BIOS is set to AGP, and I still get the following when trying to install the drivers... :mad:

[​IMG]

24. Insomniac

Make sure you haven't missed any settings in the Bios.

You mustn't have AGP enabled.

In Post 10, it said AGP is not enabled. (Check the screenshots you posted)

Run Everest again and see if it says AGP is enabled now or not.

25. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

FYI I posted this before seeing post 24, sorry.

When inserting my resource cd that contains the origional drivers for the card, it unpacks them into the DELL/DRIVERS/ folder as "R-'''''" subfolder '''' are replaced with 4-5 numbers. It then tells me to reboot before the hardware will take effect. I do that, it starts me up in 16bit mode and still shows no display adapters on the devmgmt.

26. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

Per Everest, it is still disabled...guess I'm off to the BIOS world again. Have to work at 11, so probably a tomorrow project.

Thanks again.

Joshua

27. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Don't forget to save the settings when you exit the BIOS otherwise you'll be back where you started. :rolleyes:

28. jig74

jig74 Private E-2

[​IMG]

Hey guys, does this look better? :D :D

Sorry to bump this thread, but just wanted to let you know what was going on...A few months ago, my system was hit by lightning, killing most of my PC, including the motherboard. So, now I have a different motherboard (ECS) than what Dell had supplied. Sooo, I discovered that the problems were caused when reinstalling XP from this Dell reinstallation CD, because it was also wanting to reinstall drivers for the origional motherboard that was no longer there.

Needless to say, all I had to do was autorun my ECS CD, and now, all is well again. My bad. Classic example of "user error" :p

Thanks for your help.

Joshua

29. Insomniac

No worries, I'm glad you got there in the end.

However, I would advise you to update your motherboard drivers.

Don't rely on the ones supplied with your motherboard as they can be months to over a year old.

Go to the motherboard manufacturer's site and download the latest ones.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds