New CPU/Mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cecco11, Oct 6, 2005.

1. cecco11

cecco11 Private E-2

I just put in a new mobo and AMD Athlon XP 3000+. I got it running to XP, but then it said it was only running at 1.7GHz, not 2.16Ghz as its supposed to.....so i went to BIOS, and told it to run harder, i can't remember the terms it used, but basically i made it run more powerful. Then i restarted, and my screen didn't come on, and after about 20 seconds the computer would turn off. I have to pull out the powercable, plug it back in just to get it to start again...each time the same thing, i have disconnected everything, it still happens. I NEED HELP PLZ!!!!!!!

2. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Iam not sure exactly but I think what you did was overclock it and you pushed it too much. Iam probably wrong though lol.

3. cecco11

cecco11 Private E-2

how do i fix it?

4. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

5. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

You can still get back in bios right?

6. cecco11

cecco11 Private E-2

I can't see any video, so idk, i should i think, it stays on long enough to access BIOS, but i can't check

7. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Iam not sure, wait for one of the pros to help out :) I am just a newbie

8. cecco11

cecco11 Private E-2

yeah, my experience is minimum, i thought i was overclocking it, but i didn't think it did that much, since i didn't push it to the top (of what the BIOS said)

9. DSorcerer

DSorcerer Private E-2

if you overclocked and the computer wont post unpluge your computer and take out the battery for at least 2 mins then put everything back and boot up to your cmos and set it up

10. cecco11

cecco11 Private E-2

that didn't work, so i'm sending it back...........or trying

11. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

did you push up your FSB it would be helpful to know what setting you adjusted,most overclocking blunders can be fixed usually by resetting the cmos jumper or by removing the battery,if they dont there a possibility you could have fried something its impossible to guess,you could could try a simple troubleshooting config with the bare minimum you need for your comp to turn on if you still have the board :confused:

edit the make of your mobo would help,sounds like you used an auto overclock feature which if set too high will cause your comp not to boot

12. cecco11

cecco11 Private E-2

yeah, I pushed the FSB up to 200.......should work since the CPU has one of 333. I tried removing the battery, uplugging PWR cable, left it for a long time.....still nothing. If anything fried, would it be mobo or CPU? (how do u fry a CPU, cept for overheating)

13. Rikky

Big mistake M8 :( ,the CPU FSB is calculated by multiplying the fsb by 2,you just supa overcloked that sucka,I would still have imagined it fired up though once you reset the cmos jumper and/or removed the battery,are you sure you have reset the cmos jumper correctly,unplug from AC and remove battery for 20 secs,replace then try dont turn on with battery out ;)

If you get no joy I have it 80/20 cpu then motherboard :(

14. cecco11

cecco11 Private E-2

hey thanks, completly forgot about the CMOS jumper, it works. Thanks, this helps a lot!!!! I'm getting the Desktop, so everything looks fine

15. cecco11

cecco11 Private E-2

ok, now what SHOULD i run the FSB and everything at?

16. cecco11

cecco11 Private E-2

ok, i worked on it, everything was fine running at normal speed (2.16Ghz).......then i installed the drivers...fine. Then i installed AIM and the computer just shut down again......same thing as before, only on for 3 seconds. the case's CPU temp thing says its 60 F......not too hot........plz help

17. Rikky

not sure exactly whats happening is it powering on for 3secs then shutting down again before you get into bios,if so reset the cmos jumper again,once you get this far post back and I or someone else will tell you what to adjust in bios to get your cpu running at the right speed

Can you post the model of your mobo sounds like you mobo cannot support a 400mhz fsb cpu :confused:

18. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

166 with a multiplier of 13, which will give you 2.158 GHZ.

Remember, FSB is double-pumped (in Intel's case it's quad-pumped), which is why it's 166 and not 333.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds