flash or dos bootable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jak3y, Oct 6, 2005.

1. jak3y

jak3y Guest

buddy told me to NOT flash my mobo, said it's less stable that way...is this true? i had to use the drivers from my mobo's website (they were rude and not helpful on the phone...wow something new from ASUS... :rolleyes: )
    so seein how my next motherboard will be from www.giga-byte.com so just to know for future reference, is it better to do a bootable driver through DOS for your mobo's?
    thanks.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The point of flashing your bios is to make your comp more stable,its not recommended unless the updated bios fixes an issue your having and is addressed in the new bios readme,quite simply done incorrectly it can kill your board

I'm very paranoid when it comes to floppy disks,I really dont like them,I havnt had a floppy drive for over 2 years now,statistically I would guess more bios flashes have been ruined by floppy's than harddisk flashes,but still this would be a very small number,I recently had to flash a bios for a friend using a floppy drive,I wouldnt do until I had a brand new disk to use.

Winflash is also alot easier to use and less trouble which is most important to someone as lazy as me :D

3. jak3y

jak3y Guest

hmmm okay, didnt help me much, so you're scared of flashing your mobo whether it's floppy or not, is what i got out of your post.

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You should only ever flash your Bios if you have an issue, and the flash specifically addresses that issue.

As far as how, doing it via Windows is certainly easier, but there is more chance of something going wrong.

The safest way is to do it with floppies.

Most decent programs allow you to save the existing Bios as a backup.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds