Network connections

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamepc, Oct 6, 2005.

1. jamepc

jamepc Private E-2

I have 2 desktops and a Inspiron 8200 on my network. The desktops are connected via a NIC and the Inspiron via Belkin Pre-N card. A Belkin Pre-N Router connects them all. It seems I'm having trouble with the Inspiron's wireless connection. I have internet access, I can print to other printers on the desktops, and I setup Quickbooks to access the file on a desktop. However the Inspiron can't see the desktops in Workgroup Computers, can't access the shared files that show up in My Network and it doesn't show up in the desktops Workgroup Computers. The desktops can't print to the Inspiron's printer. All this happens with all firewalls disabled. How can I get full access with all the computers?

Thank you.

2. jamepc

jamepc Private E-2

As suggested by someone, I uninstalled Trend Micro PC-Cillin (you should uninstall any 3rd party software, not just disable it) on all the computers and rebooted them. Now all 3 computers are visible in Workgroup Computers on all computers, however the Wireless XP Home Dell only shows the Dell's shared folders. The XP Pro Shuttle and the XP Home Gateway (hard wired NIC's) shows each others shared folders but not the Dell's.

3. jamepc

jamepc Private E-2

I did It! I decided to run the Network Wizard again with the uninstalled firewalls and all is seen in network land! Now I hope it will stay that way once PC-Cillin is reinstalled (may have to do some tweaking).

One thing...There's a few folders that show up on Network Places on other computers that are not shared. I made then shared then unshared while trying to figure out my previous problem. They never showed up before but now they do (and they're not shard)! It's been over an hour and computers rebooted but they are still there. I can't just delete the folders from Network Places right? That's like trying to delete the actual folder and not just the path, right? Is there a manual way to remove the bogus icon?

James

P.S. Does anybody live here???

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. jamepc

jamepc Private E-2

Great site, thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds