I have a gremlin in my DVD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ginnygreenmouse, Oct 6, 2005.

1. ginnygreenmouse

ginnygreenmouse Private E-2

Have Samsung cd/dvdrw, can do anything with cd's and can watch dvd's but cannot write. When I insert a blank dvd it come's up in my computer as a cd with 0 allocation and 0 space. Have run everest and it is showing up as a writable dvd. When I go into bios settings it shows up as secondary ide, but isnt available to select as a bootable device.
    I have updated firmware, downloaded nero updates, and also updated motherboard. My computer is now working better and display is great, but it hasnt helped with the dvd problem. I know that Win XP can cause probs with this and am wondering if I would be better off running Win 2000. Insomniac has been helping with all this and has been a gem :) .

I dont know alot about computers (almost nothing), so any help would be greatly appreciated, as I think Insomniac is about to pull all his hair out.. :rolleyes:

2. DSorcerer

DSorcerer Private E-2

what model is your samsung? and Xp home or pro

3. ginnygreenmouse

XP pro, samsung TS-H552U

4. DSorcerer

DSorcerer Private E-2

the only thing I can find on that is that the firmware needs to be updated I have the link but before you update it you might want to wait to see if someone else has any idea as to what to do

Link

5. ginnygreenmouse

Tried that, but it didnt help, Thanks anyway :D .

6. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

As I noticed that you are using Nero, are you using Nero SmartStart? Only reason that I'm asking is that I've ran into the same issue before, and I had CD recorder chosen as the application that I was using. When you open SmartStart there is a white box at the top where you choose the application that you're going to use! Hope this helps! :)

7. ginnygreenmouse

Thank you, didnt help with the computer showing it as a dvd, but now it comes up as a rewritable dvd, thank you so much, youre the best

8. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

The Only Thing I Can Think Of Is That There Might Be An Issue With Your Burner And Nero. :eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds