Weird problem with hard drives...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by volmanal, Oct 6, 2005.

1. volmanal

volmanal Private E-2

Well I have never had this problem or even heard of this problem before. I have 2 hard drives installed on my system. I have had them installed over a year with no problems untill the other day. I had a problem accessing one of the hard drives thru my other PC that I have networked (after I formated and fresh installed XP) and it will not let me connect thru my other pc. I can connect to the other PC thru my home system no problems. But...thats not the weird thing!!! I thought maybe my drive had a problem with sharing so I opened up my computer and right clicked the drive and my pc all of a sudden got hung up. I had to CRTL/ALT/Delete to find out the drive is not responding. I tried the same thing with other drive it did the same thing. It even did it with my drive my OS is on. So I said it was about time for a format on the same Pc, I went to install windows and it said it cannot find any hard drives on my system. I have no other problems other than this... and I must have the PC's talking to each other. Any Idea's?

Thanks ahead of time!

2. volmanal

volmanal Private E-2

Anyone?

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

Which drive are you having trouble accessing? Are you saying you can't install windows now?

4. volmanal

volmanal Private E-2

Well lets say I can't ax either drive from my main PC from my new one. But I can ax shared folders/drives from the new PC. And Yes when I go to reformat I cannot install windows on my main pc because after I boot with win xp pro cd it says it cannot find a drive to install windows too.

5. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

on the problem machine, hit windows key + R then type cmd then at the prompt type chkdsk /r then reboot ... this will take awhile...and most likely not fix your problem...

you can also use third party tools like powerMax to determine just how messed up the drive is. If you do not need any files on that drive then you can write zeros to the drive and that may fix the issue.

6. volmanal

volmanal Private E-2

Well I am thinking its not a HD issue since I exchanged HD's with my new PC and it still wont recognize the drive when trying to install windows

7. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

Are both drive recognized on the working system?

Are they recognized in the BIOS on the problem system?

Are these SATA drives?

8. volmanal

volmanal Private E-2

yes everything is as normal, and these are ata's

I am going to clear the bios tonight and see if that helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds