Hard drive partition not recognized. . . suddenly!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arbutis, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Arbutis

Arbutis Private E-2

I was in the process of getting my pc ready for an XP-home re-installation in order to clean up some things on my computer. I have a large capacity slave drive (160 GB)that I previously partitioned into a 130 and a 30 GB drive. I moved all of my data files from my primary C drive to the 130GB partition of the slave and I was just doing some other things to get ready for the process. I'm not exactly sure when it happened but all of a sudden my computer was unable to view any of the files on that partition of the slave drive. The 30 GB partition of the same drive is apparently unaffected. In a Windows Explorer window when I click on the drive letter of the problem drive, a window opens asking me if I want to format this drive and that it is not formatted. Of course I do not do it but I have all my files backed up there and I don't know how to retrieve them.
    Some other things I recall doing in the process of getting ready for a re-install were: Upgrading the system BIOS (Dell Dimension 450 pc), unsuccessfully trying to install Norton Ghost to make a disk image, and just a bunch of files tranfered from C drive to slave partition.
    I need some help here.
    After I couldn't get the drive accessed, I unplugged all my hardware and re-installed XP on the C drive. All my stuff is on the slave backup though. With the new XP operating system installed, I re-plugged the slave and unfortunately the same symptoms occurred.
    Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

your partition table on that drive is currupt and will need to be either taken to a professional or you have to buy relatively expensive disk recovery software.

3. Arbutis

Arbutis Private E-2

not exactly the answer I was looking for. Other replies would be appreciated.

4. Arbutis

Arbutis Private E-2

Come on geeks. I need some help here. If my partition is corrupt, then what is my next move? I need to retrieve this data. Very important personal stuff is on there. Photos, journal, docutments. etc. I've been looking online for partittion recovery software but since I have never used it before, I am worried about what to do. I'm pretty good with computers and I would like to try this on my own before spending hundreds on a pro data recovery service. Any suggestions as to what software to try? Please help.

5. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

you can use ontrack or getdataback

6. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

A low level format as hugh750 suggested will wipe all your data and make it more difficult/impossible for data recovery programs to recover any of your data.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Don't do anything rash yet.

Let me pull up some info.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2005
  9. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

If that data is really valuable to you and your partition table is corrupted, your next move is to a professional recovery service. Yes, I know you don't like that answer, but that doesn't change the fact that it may be the only real answer because there may be very few members of this board who are prepared to accept the responsibility of helping you make your data unrecoverable. Pyrate's answer is the only safe answer, and even then, there's no guarantee.

Yes, those services are expensive. There's a reason for that, and it's the same reason that neurosurgeons are expensive. The work involves extensive training and extensive experience. If you don't know what you're doing, it's easy to make a difficult job impossible.

It looks like Adrynalyne is going to introduce you to a partition table editor. It might work, but it's risky. So pay very careful attention to exactly what Adrynalyne tells you about how to use it. If you aren't prepared to pay for a professional recovery service, it could be your only chance, and it won't matter if you screw it up because your data is already toast.

10. Arbutis

Arbutis Private E-2

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/engli...es/ptedit32.zip

That link did not work. I was unable to download the file. If you can re-post a working link that would be appreciated. Also - I don't really follow that you mean by:

>Select the correct drive. Very first column, @ number 1. What does it say for type?

>Edit: Better give a listing of all partitions and types.

Can you be more explicit.

Thanks to all for trying - please continue to help. I still haven't done anything with that drive until I feel secure that I won't lose my data.

11. Arbutis

Arbutis Private E-2

any more thoughts on this??? anyone? :rolleyes:

12. itsonlydanny

itsonlydanny Private E-2

Hi Arbitus!
    Yes, I've got almost exactly the same problem as you! I've downloaded "ptedit32" - but I do not have a clue how to use it, as I cannot find any instructions/guides!
    I've got a "type 44" partition (according to "ptedit32" and Partition Magic) - which is a proprietal format unique to GoBack (both Norton and Roxio - I had have the latter), which I had installed on both my drives (the smaller C drive and the much larger D drive, which I now cannot access).
    Now, I have to 'convert' my D drive into the normal, regular type - which Windows, Partition Magic, etc, can recognise and access.
    Any ideas?

Cheers,
    itsonlydanny :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds