Anyone using DVD-RAM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anis, Oct 7, 2005.

1. anis

anis Private E-2

I was wondering if anyone here has been using DVD-RAM and if so, could you please share your experience?

I bought the IBM Thinkpad T43 laptop this week which came with a Multi Burner+ and it handles DVD-RAM as well. I bought a 9.4GB 2 sided disk with the cartridge and when I used it to burn 1.35 GB of data but it took a whooping 35 minutes. I was a bit surprised that it should take this much time as it is a 3x ver 2.1 disk. My setting are for max speed burning and in the bios I have set the drive to be at high speed. Am I missing something? :confused:

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I don't have DVD-RAM, but I can tell you that 35 minutes to burn 1.35 GB is excessive.

Do you have DMA enabled for both your hard drive and burner's controllers?

It's in Device Manager (Control Panel), under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, then double-click Primary IDE and Secondary IDE Channel and in Advanced Settings tab.

(If you are using Windows 9x, the settings will be in a slightly different place, but that will give you the idea)

Make sure they are using DMA mode and not PIO.

3. anis

anis Private E-2

Thanks for the response.

Yes the DMA for both primary and Secondary channels is enabled, just for your information the primary one is Ultra DMA Mode 5 and Secondary one is Ultra DMA Mode 2.

As far as I am concerned there is nothing that i could think of changing, its just that the time it takes to burn is too long and a bit unusual. Wonder if there is anything that I am not aware of to troubleshoot.

Still clueless :confused:

4. anis

anis Private E-2

5. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

what software are you using to burn? could be some settings in there that make it take longer...

6. anis

anis Private E-2

I am using the software which came with the laptop, IBM Record Now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds