HP Pavilion Serial Number?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wwalker555, Oct 7, 2005.

1. wwalker555

wwalker555 Corporal

I am working with a friend that needs to get software/drivers for his HP pavilion computer. (He knows very little about PC's -- today, for the first time I told him what a defrag is and how to perform one). So I told him I would contact HP and get what he needs. When I contacted HP, they required a serial number, which they said could be found behind the tower on a white sticker. I called my friend up, he found the sticker and reported back to me that it said SER. NO. xxxxxxxxx.

I called HP and they said this was an invaild number. That it must start with a US or KR and is followed by 8 or 10 numbers. I called my friend and he swears that there is no number there that is preceeded by the letters US or KR.

My question - is there a command or location within windows or someplace where i can instruct him to look to obtain the PC serial number? Or is there something I can tell my friend that will make it more clear what to look for on the back on the tower (the HP people seem to be from out of the US and I may have not understood them enough to instruct my friend where to look)?

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

It's pretty straight-forward or at least should be.

If the letters aren't there, then it should be obvious where they have been rubbed or scratched off.

There are programs like Everest and Belarc Advisor, both available from here that may tell you, although I doubt it.

3. zepper

zepper Corporal

You don't need any serial number to get software and drivers unless what you need is the HP restore CD for that model. Drivers and some software can be downloaded directly from the HP site, all you need to know is the model no.
    . HP also has pages on how to locate the serial no. on various models.

.bh.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

as mentioned above, if you have model version of the HP pc you can find the support and drivers at HP quite easily http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html also at this page you can click under Automatically detect product names/numbers: the Start Detection button as this will or should as the blurb says detect model version and serial number of the HP pc.

5. decostj

decostj Private E-2

I don't know if you've found an answer but there are a lot of serial numbers on my machine, front back and sideways. I have a Pavillion d4650y. The actual hp serial number for the whole machine is on the bottom of my case, not on the back. Also, on the Limited Warranty and Support Guide that came with the documentation, it says you can get the Model Number, Product Numbe, Serial Number and Software build by pressing Ctrl+Alt+S keys on the keyboard at the same time. It worked on my machine.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Since this question was asked in 2005, I think we can assume the OP found a solution in 5 years. He might not even own the same computer.

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Oops.
    Just looked at the post time of the one ahead of me.
    Wonder how they would like a size 10 against their backside?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds