Laptop running ridiculously slow..

Discussion in 'Software' started by wackyjacky, Oct 8, 2005.

1. wackyjacky

wackyjacky Private E-2

Hi, first-time poster here so hope you can help me.
    My laptop is running really slow, particularly on the web, even though I have 2mb broadband. Most applications I try to open take up to 2 minutes to open and the mouse pointer appears to freeze. Not just the mouse but the laptop and any application running can freeze but when you move the mouse pointer it starts up again from where it left off. I.e it's like a pause button. This is the same whether or not I use the internal mouse or an external one.
    I've ran loads of antivirus and spyware including:-
    Lavasoft Adaware, Spyware Blaster, RegistryFix, PCBugDoctor, Avast Antivirus, Xoftspy, CC Cleaner, Spybot and AOLs own virus scan. I've also ran TrendMicro and Panda Software on-line virus scans. Only the odd small thing showed up which I've removed/fixed.
    I guess I may have too many processes running but don't know which ones I don't need or how to turn them off so they only run when needed.
    I've downloaded AIDA32 as recommended on this site but don't know what information to post. This is the system info for my pc

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DAVID_WILSON
    System Manufacturer MEDIONNB
    System Model FID2130
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3200 Mhz
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3200 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 4.06, 23/02/2004
    SMBIOS Version 2.31
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name DAVID_WILSON\David
    Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 48.47 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 1.38 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Hopefully someone on here can help, thanks in advance

Dave

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

This is only a suggestion, as the moderators don't like users telling others to post in other sections of the forum, but since you've done all that you mentioned, with no improvement, it could be in your best interest to visit the Spyware Specific forum, read and follow all the sticky notes at the top and see if this helps! :)

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Process Explorer will tell you how many processes are running, and what they are.

Process Explorer.http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4566

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds