Complete Newbie Needs Help Upgrading RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hiyooo, Oct 10, 2005.

1. hiyooo

hiyooo Private E-2

Hi, I am newbie in computer hardware. I want to upgrade my RAM, and apparently there are a lot of uuh things I need to know and buy the correct RAM. I thought you just stick in a piece of ram and it works lol.

Anyway, here's some information about my computer. I need some help! I dunno what I have to list in order to tell what ram I have to get. Please let me know if you need more info!
    Motherboard Name Intel Avalon D915GAV
    Memory Type DDR SDRAM
    Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM 4096MB
    uuh I have 4 slots and it says max cap 4 gb ram i used 1/4

I went to http://www.crucial.com and it recommends this 184-pin DIMM DDR PC3200 module. I have no idea what that means lol. Here are two links about my motherboard that may help...!
    http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.asp?id=7C88D51031D926C3&tabid=AM
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?mfr=Intel&model=D915GAV&tabid=AM

Well I want to know about something.... Something about dual channels matching rams and 1 stick? (like 2x 512 RAM or 1x 1 GIG what's the difference?) I really need some help with the basics o.o
    I hear Kingston and Corsair the best, I dunno. Can someone provide a RAM FAQ link for a newbie, please or do a brief explaination if you have time ^^

I have 480 RAM right now. I do want to upgrade it to 1 GIG or 2 GIGs. Would it be a good idea? I want the best performance for my computer. Is it possible that if I do insert 4 GB of RAM, that it can only use a certain amount (just a question)? I do not know much about computer hardware D;

Please help me (Newbie) out! Thanks in advance! Sorry for all the trouble.

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

184-pin dimm ddr pc3200 is the type of memory your computer's motherboard takes.

3. hiyooo

hiyooo Private E-2

Thanks man! the only ones right?
    now i just bring a piece of paper that says 184-pin dimm ddr pc3200 to a local computer store and i can get it right?

and 1 last question!
    i have 4 slots
    and what brand should i get and what are dual channels matching rams and 1 stick? (like 2x 512 RAM or 1x 1 GIG what's the difference?)
    help plz o.o

can i use my 480 ram like if i buy 1 gb and insert and use total of 1480 ram

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

There is no real benefit having more than 1 GB or RAM, at least for the vast majority of people.

If your motherboard supports dual-channel, then two sticks of 512 MB of RAM would be ideal and give you the best performance.

Dual-channel is not double the performance of "normal" RAM, but it is faster.

Apart from the motherboard supporting it, it must be installed into matching memory slots, which are usually colour coded, and each memory module should ideally be identical to the other one it's matching.

5. hiyooo

hiyooo Private E-2

siiiicck

thank you guys answered all my questions :D

i <3 u all.

peace!

thank u again ;P

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds