I have a problem with my graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tntfreestyle, Oct 10, 2005.

1. tntfreestyle

tntfreestyle Private E-2

I was trying to play Punisher on my PC the other day.
    I opened up the program and i got this error
    "Direct3D Initialization Error
    Failed to initlaie Direct3D device
    d3dERR_Notavaliable (8876086a)

anyone have any suggestions?
    I'm running on
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    AMD xp 2200
    1 gig Ram
    Nvidia Geforce 4 MX440 with AGP 8x

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Did you restart your computer?
    Plus how much memory does your video card have?

3. tntfreestyle

tntfreestyle Private E-2

Yes I tried restarting and its a 64 mb card

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

you might try reinstalling the game.

5. tntfreestyle

tntfreestyle Private E-2

I tried re installing the game three times and i also uninstalled my drivers for the card and installing them back, same problem

6. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

win key + r > type dxdiag > run all the tests in the pop up. If the tests fail you may have to reinstall directx. Also make sure you have the latest directx to begin with.

Does this happen with other games or apps? Or just with the Punisher? You might try fiddling with the display properties, particularly the direct3d settings. Turning everything off or to the lowest setting.

Also make sure your system can handle the game, look at the (minimum + recommended)/2 specs for the game and compare them to yours.

7. tntfreestyle

tntfreestyle Private E-2

all the tests passed, this is the only game ive tryied playing in a while i was playing nfs underground 2 for a while and it worked, i aslo played punsiher before and i didnt have any problems with it. the only thing that i saw wrong in the diag box was "The file d3d9d.dll is a debug version, which will run slower than the retail version."
    The specs on my pc are also good to run the game didnt have a problem with running it the first time

8. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

Well, they came out with a new directx9c, it's the same name but it's different. Should called it 9d, but it's microsoft so go figure. You might try that.

Although I hate to sound like a broken record, but you might try uninstalling then using a registry cleaning tool like ccleaner, easy cleaner and registry fix (which can all be found in the download section), then reinstalling. Or maybe going to the Punishers website finding the forum there and asking how to do a manuel uninstall, because even if you uninstall a program stuff gets left behind and I'm thinking that stuff that's left behind is messing it up.

Also you might try reinstalling your drivers with driver cleaner pro, you can find documentation on their website which is linked in the download section.

9. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I'm not sure but i think microsoft is working on directx 9.1.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds