Need to save data, but WinME won't find CDRW

Discussion in 'Software' started by gogie1, Oct 26, 2005.

1. gogie1

gogie1 Private E-2

I have a DELL Dimension 4100 that will only boot into Windows ME in Safe Mode. I need to save about 4GB of data so I can reload Windows, but the CDRW drive won't see any disks and does not show as an available device. I bought an 80GB Fantom USB drive hoping that would do the trick. Problem is, WinME won't recognize the USB drive in Safe Mode. I can't load the Fantom drivers because the CD Drive won't read!!

What is the best method of saving the 4GB of data knowing that the CDRW and an external USB drive don't read in the computer's current situation (Safe Mode only)? HELP, please...Thanks =)

2. gogie1

gogie1 Private E-2

Hello? Is there anybody here? :confused:

3. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I don't have any experience with WinME so would be of limited help. ;)

Go to Start > Run > and type misconfig > click OK. Look under the General tab and select Normal Startup if not already ticked and restart.

Steve

4. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Other than popping in a slave hard drive, no real suggestions. What happens when you try to boot normally? Did the problem occur after loading new hardware/software? If you choose 'step-by-step' booting, what line does it get hung up on? Maybe someone here can help you get it to boot properly.

5. gogie1

gogie1 Private E-2

You were actually of great help! I used MSCONFIG and chose the "diagnostic boot" and it rebooted to ME just fine (normal boot did not work so well). I was able to copy 6.5GB of data to the USB drive. Now I am using Datagone to wipe the C: drive and get rid of the "bugs", next I'll reload ME, and then reload the 6.5GB of data from the USB drive (mostly music & photos).

Splendid :)

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I told you I was an expert on WinME. :D

Glad you got it fixed my friend.

Steve

7. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Quote "Now I am using Datagone to wipe the C: drive and get rid of the "bugs", next I'll reload ME"

Windows ME is one big bug.

If you can afford it, do yourself a favour and upgrade to XP, or even use 98 SE.

Almost anything is better than Windows ME, it's plagued with problems.

8. gogie1

gogie1 Private E-2

It's not my computer, otherwise it would have XP... :rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds